The Edinburgh WNBR is part of UK Bike Week 2016.
- 1 Next ride
- 2 Ride information
- 3 History
- 4 Photos
- 5 Videos
- 6 Media coverage
- 7 Links
- 8 Categories
Date: Saturday 10 June 2017
Location: Middle Meadow Walk, Meadows, Edinburgh
Dress Code: "Is Nudity mandatory?"
It's not such a silly question when you think about the name of the event but No, nudity is not mandatory.
The official dress code is that genitalia should be covered, to avoid scaring horses, after that, go wild.
In previous years, riders have worn shorts, bras, swimwear, body paint, wigs, sunglasses etc. Most wear footwear and bring bags to carry clothes. Body painting and adornment, customised bikes and other creative expression are all strongly encouraged.
See also the United Kingdom FAQ for more information on this topic
Although there has been a lot of media attention on the legality of nudity on these rides it really is something of a non-issue. For the record, anyone who attempts to ride completely nude will be asked to cover their genitals by the police.
This is an organised event, and there will likely be a police presence. The Police were fantastic and friendly in previous years and this event would like to continue having an amicable relationship.
The clothing options are pretty simple: Bare-as-you-Dare (except for genitals as mentioned above)
Now on to the fun stuff: Decoration!
Now we know where the limits are (ie. the absolute bare minimum) lets have fun with it. Last year people were plastering each other with body paint and comedy G-strings. We work best when we are forced to improvise, so improvise your hearts out.
We will do our best to provide some screens to get changed behind, but we guarantee nothing. Why not have a 'painting-party' beforehand, and really go to town?
Best of all, take some inspiration from other rides around the world, many of which manage to post pictures that are totally work-safe due to the sheer weight of ornamentation!
Edinburgh prefers riders rather than photographers. Rider-photographers are OK but we will probably be using the London photography policy unless posted otherwise. That means if your photography behaviour is unwelcome, you'll be required to leave.
Middle Meadow Walk is a long tree lined avenue through the Meadows Park. At the north end of the Walk is Teviot Place and at the south end is Argyle Place. Here is a link to the map and here is a map of the Meadows. Here is an excellent photograph that shows what Middle Meadows Walk looks like.
Publicise the ride
Please share or Facebook event or retweet us @wnbredinburgh
If you want to get more actively involved in the ride, join our group
Saturday 11 June 2011
In spite of temperatures of less than ten degrees and continuous rain, 10 people were still game enough to make the ride wearing only bodypaint and some scraps of lycra. The ride started at approx 4:30pm, half an hour late due to a last minute storage issue.
Saturday 12 June 2010
Our WNBR started at 3pm with about 20 to 30 participants - check pictures below
Saturday 13 June 2009
Sunday 29 June 2008
A partially-clothed WNBR took place in Edinburgh on 12 June 2004 and it had more participants than the London ride on the same day. At least one rider participated in both rides!
- sandy_beach_cat (flickr.com - tagged as adult, flickr sign in required)
- byronv2 (flickr.com)
- WNBR EDINBURGH 2010! (facebook.com)
- a short film by Andy Cameron of the start of the ride (Youtube.com)
- Edinburgh Spotlight, 4 May 2011: "11th June will see naked* cyclists assemble at Middle Meadow Walk"
- The Scotsman, 08 June 2010: "Cyclists not allowed to let it all hang out for naked event " By Rory Reynolds
- The Herald, 24 May 2008: "Cyclists’ naked ambition to take to the capital’s streets" by Brian Donnelly
- Scotsman, 11 Jun 2004: "The naked truth" (Opinion piece)
- BBC News, 12 Jun 2004: "Protest cyclists opt to cover up"
- Sunday Herald, 13 Jun 2004: "Edinburgh covers up after protests"
- Scotsman, 14 Jun 2004: "Barely no trouble at naked ride"
- WNBR 2011 Edinburgh Facebook event
- WNBR Edinburgh Facebook group
- Critical Mass Edinburgh
- WNBR UK (This page has FAQ info and links to the other UK rides)
See also United Kingdom page
- WNBR UK Yahoo! group for Announcements and discussion of all UK rides.
See also United Kingdom page