Join us on Friday 10 June 2016 for Manchester's 10th annual World Naked Bike Ride!
Manchester's biggest cycle protest and the best Northern exposure of the year!
This is a global protest that takes place in over 50 cities worldwide to:
- - Highlight the vulnerability of cyclists, who are equal users of the road and should be seen even when not naked
- - Protesting against the car dependant society that we live in and the fossil fueled climate change that is polluting our towns and cities
- - Celebrating bikes, bodies and low-impact living
Welcome to the Manchester Naked Bike Ride official web pages.
Please join us or help with this year's ride (2016).
Check out our official Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/58636878044/
For all info about this year's ride join our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1673383369597749/?ti=ic
The weather can be temperamental, but keep your fingers crossed it looks OK BBC weather
Questions? Contact the administrators on the Facebook page.
- 1 Next ride
- 2 Ride details
- 3 Ride reports
- 4 Media coverage
- 5 Photos
- 6 Videos
- 7 Links
- 8 Categories
Date: Fri 10th June 2016
Time: 6pm for 7pm
Location: All Saints Park, Cavendish St (off Oxford Road near MMU) M15 6BH.
The ride will probably take about an hour. Meet from 5.30pm and set off at 7pm or just after.
Hillcourt Cycles is just over the road from the park and have any spares you may need
If you have any body paints feel free to bring them along and paint each other, or come already painted!
Coffee Cranks will be providing Tea and Coffee (not free unfortunately, but well worth paying for from their bicycle coffee stand *Coffee Cranks
Police have OK'd the ride, so be ready to ride as bare as you dare. If you want to go for some kind of costume really go to town, colourful and eye-catching. Be imaginative and creative. It's a lot of fun, the people of Manchester loved us last 5 years. Bring your body paints and let everyone know why your are riding and make yourself stand out from the crowd!
Manchester prefers riders rather than photographers. If you want to photograph people before or after the ride ASK THEM. If they say no then don't, if they say yes go ahead.
We also have a semi official photographer who will be using some of his pics for the press. He will make sure that he has your full approval before taking any photos. He has been provided by Edinburgh Cycles, so if you want to get painted by their body painters you may be asked to have you photo taken
All Saints Park is on the Western Side of Oxford Rd (A34) between the Mancunian Way overpass and Cavendish Street (the next traffic lights as you head south). Enter from Oxford Road or Cavendish Street
If you are intending to come along to Manchester’s WNBR on June 10 and you can’t bring your bike, you can now hire one. Manchester bike hire has just opened its shop on Whitworth Street West and has shed loads of bikes for hire. Bike hire is usually £20 per day but Manchester WNBR riders are able to hire bikes from 4pm to 10pm at a discounted day rate of just £14. You don't even need to book in advance just turn up at their shop on Whitworth Street West
Bikes being rented for the evening must be returned before 9:45pm
Manchester Bike Hire Whitworth Street west, Manchester M1 5BD Contact:07523 092 285 Email them email@example.com
Publicise the ride
Please help get the word out about this ride. Circulate leaflets.
We now have a fantastic poster and flyers! Please feel free to download and print off as many as you want and share with friends, family and workmates. Distribute freely and spread the word.
If you want to get more actively involved in the ride, please join the Facebook group, WNBR Manchester or the event page-
If you don't want to be naked you are more than welcome to come along, either as a participant or to help out as a Marshall.
Looking at the weather report on the Monday, we were due to have heavy rain all day and night. In the end it was a bit overcast but nothing to put off the ride. We managed to get around 212 riders in all happily taking part. We followed a similar route to last year, dictated mainly by city road works and new tram lines. Manchester definitely seemed a lot quieter, although we still got rounds of cheers from spectators. Hopefully this is our one in five wet years, so that means next year will be glorious sunshine. So see you all in 2017!
WNBR 2015 Taking over the organisation from Sean, we had 3 new organisers who all did a brilliant job. A fantastic promotional poster and flyers. We had body painting provided by Edinburgh Cycles and coffee provided by Coffee Cranks. With the weather going from heavy rain on Monday morning to sunshine on Thursday in the end we seemed to get the hottest day of the year if not the sunniest. The route was very different to previous years due to the number of road works in the city centre. We hit Deansgate, the Northern Quarter and Canal Street. We even had some Christians who were telling us pride comes before a fall, luckily I don't think anyone was too prideful. As ever Manchester loved us and a lot of people I spoke to read about it in Tuesday's MEN and decided to join in.
Over 200 people took part his year making it the biggest yet! The weather was fantastic. A good range of people attending, proving that it is an event for all body types. Lots of colourful wigs and masks. I think we had one unfortunate roller blader who lost a wheel but managed to catch up with us! The route was a good length and all the people cheered us on. It was Sean Fitton's last year as organiser, something which will be missed.
Rain, Rain, Rain! This is England. We take our chances and know that even in June it can feel like February. God seems to like WNBR Manchester though, as he stopped the rain long enough so we could complete the ride without our body paint streaking! In a change to the route we visited Pop Up Bikes and ventured onto Cheetham Hill Road. With a bit of a climb Coffee Cranks almost needed a push to the top of a steep bit of road. Prize for best Un dressed person goes to Mr Bunny Gimp mask who bounced us all the way to the end.
It keeps getting better and better, and 2010 was the best year yet. Not only did we have 100 naked cyclists, we even had a unicyclist and a Rollerblader! Special thanks go to our volunteer marshals and Greater Manchester Police, who looked after us and escorted us beautifully. We even got a report in the MEN 
The weather was perfect, the riders were exceptional and the starting point was lovely. We rode in joy and fun and lots of noise for almost the whole route and the crowds loved us. It all went a bit pear-shaped on Portland Street when some well-intentioned but sadly ill-informed constabulary stopped the ride and tried to make us get dressed. We undressed around the corner anyway, and we did get a lot of wonderful media coverage. The police later apologised in writing as the ride had been OK'd by them previously. They agreed to accompany the Ride in future as they do at Naked Rides in other cities, so there will be no problems next year.”
Well ....despite pretty nipply weather that gave some of us the willies, we still managed to have a great night cycling naked around our lovely city. Thankfully it didn't rain.
We've had lots of attention from the press again with a great report from Granada http://www.itvlocal.com/granada/news/?player=GRA_News_15&void=201440 Look out for an article in Manchester evening news and a couple of other local papers, plus lots of radio coverage. It was great to have people travel all the way from Liverpool, Bolton, Blackburn and of course the riders from the York ride, we even had a runner who had come all the way from Belgium!
From applause on Canal Street, to teenagers running in excited fear, I think we all deserve a city wide cheer. Well done to all those who took part, it was a great atmosphere and I'm happy to say on final count we estimated there were about 80+ of us.
Well the 2007 World Naked Bike Ride in Manchester was amazing! We had 55 brave riders join us for another hot evening cycling the streets of Manchester. The crowds cheered and photographed us and even posted videos on you tube for all to admire. We attracted a lot of interest with radio stations, the BBC, Granada, Channel M, Manchester Evening News and a nudist publication, not to mention all sorts of indie-media.
We saw the sights passing through the infamous Canal Street, our favourite and most popular hot spot! Waved our flags to the BBC, freewheeled along Oxford road to cheers of delight at Kro Bar, then down to Deansgate Locks for some celebrity support at the 'posh bars', along Deansgate past many a shocked and admiring face, tooting cars all the way, then up to the Town Hall for a moment of cobbled wobbles when we crossed Albert Square, with the breeze on our backs (among other things!) we were free to ride, with police by our side. Ringing our bells through Piccadilly Gardens, we finished with a standing ovation, before returning to our original location. We wished we could stay all naked and free, hoped that onlookers were able to see, our messages painted on backs and on bums, our hearts were still beating like happy green drums!
- Road CC Is WNBR now classed as serious cycling!
- Manchester Evening News
- we are now famous in Norway!
- Manchester Evening News on night with live comments
- Manchester Evening News Ride Report
- The Pink News
- Manchester conbfidential
- , 06 June 2014: Hundreds take to Manchester streets for naked bike ride – pictures and video
- , 05 June 2014: Hundreds of cyclists ride NAKED through Manchester for World Naked Bike Ride Day
- Manchester Evening News, 06 June 2011: Clothes got the bum's rush at naked bike ride through Manchester city centre
- G7uk.com 9 minute video
- Manchester Evening News, 14 June 2010: Naked bikers bear up to traffic in city protest
- Manchester Evening News, 11 June 2010: Bottoms up for the naked cyclists on tour
- Manchester Evening News 15 June 2008: Naked cyclists ride it out by Mike Keegan
- South Manchester Reporter 19 June 2008: The Barefaced Cheek by Laura Thistlethwaite archived here
- G7uk.com 7 minute video
- G7uk.com 2 minute video
- [ https://www.flickr.com/photos/caramelphotography/sets/72157669131380721 Ian Cartwright Professional Photographer For a full view of the ride!]
Add links here
Add links here
Add links here
Add links here
- [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUwAFwD6qLk It's not just about bikes maybe come and join us next year? Martin 04010]
- [Coming Soon!!!Mike Neal Manchester Naked Cycle 2015: Cycle Cam, part 3]
- G7UK: World Naked Bike Ride 2008: Manchester (blog, 18 June 2008)
- ITV Local: watch online or download 17MB video file (needs RealPlayer 11)
- Naked Bike Ride Manchester UK 08-06-07
- World Naked Bike Ride Manchester: 8th June 2007 (1 of 12)
- World Naked Bike Ride: Manchester UK 2007
- Manchester This page (official site)
- WNBR United Kingdom (This page has FAQ info and links to the other UK rides)
- I BIKE MCR - An amazing annual cycling festival and diverse events and rides in Manchester throughout the year. I Bike MCR seeks to promote cycling as a form of transport and as something fun.
- WNBR Manchester Yahoo! group for people interested in helping to organise the ride
- WNBR UK Yahoo! group for discussion of all UK rides
- WNBR Manchester Facebook Group Facebook group for the Manchester ride.
See also United Kingdom page
- Map to All Saints Park
- ViaMichelin Map of Manchester
- Entertainment and Accommodation in Manchester
- Information about Manchester
- Wikipedia: Manchester
- Wikipedia: Greater Manchester
- Wikipedia: Lancashire