Brighton & Hove
Join us for a naked "protestival" ride through the city — followed by a refreshing sea swim and beachfront after-party!
Every year since 2006, Brighton has joined World Naked Bike Rides around the world to celebrate cycling and the human body. The ride demonstrates the vulnerability of cyclists on the road and is a protest against car culture.
Brighton's World Naked Bike Ride will take place on Sunday 11 June 2017. This will be our twelfth ride. Up to 1,000 riders have taken part in previous peak years (2014 and 2010). As of the 2007 ride, following negotiations with Sussex Police, full nudity is permitted at the event.
The event is one of several UK and worldwide rides happening around the same time, including nearby Portsmouth, Southampton and London. It is scheduled to allow people to take part in other rides as well, if they like.
The ride forms part of national Bike Week (10-18 June 2017).
An after-party will be held at Volks Club on Brighton seafront.
Please join our email list for occasional updates on the ride and related events.
Food and drink
Please make sure you're well-fed at the start of the ride. If necessary, bring lunch to eat before we start, plus snacks and water for the ride.
Bike and body decoration
Please bring decorations and body paint. We'd like to have a lot more body painting. If you are a body painter please get in touch.
The route goes via central Brighton and Hove, past a number of local attractions (Brighton Pier, The Royal Pavilion, the seafront etc), before finishing at Black Rock naturist beach where we can have a post-ride swim and picnic.
Check local weather at the following sites:
If you live outside Brighton, please try to use sustainable transport to get to and from the ride (eg: by train, bus, car share, bio-diesel or electric vehicle). Please note that most buses don't take bikes and there are some restrictions on trains (except folding bikes). You can check various options at:
If you haven't got a bike, the following shops are offering 10% discounts on the day of the event to people who quote 'Brighton Naked Bike Ride':
The following company also hires out Dutch bikes, including tandems and child-carrying bikes, and is located next to Brighton train station:
Please come along if you'd like to get involved in any way or want to find out more, anyone is welcome. We meet at least once a month in the run-up to the ride, from January to June.
Next meeting date/s: See Facebook
In particular, we are keen to find people willing to assist with:
- Setting up and packing away equipment at The Level on the ride day (gazebos, signage, fencing etc). Preferably non-riders, as the packing away must be carried out after the ride sets off.
- Body painting. Skilled body painters sought, an indoor location may be available.
- Organising pre-ride fundraising or after ride social events.
- Marshalling during the ride: Helping to keep riders together and safe, and providing assistance if necessary.
- Stewarding before the ride: Collecting donations, handing out flyers and dealing with intrusive photographers.
- Bike mechanics to assist riders with bike repairs and maintenance before the ride and at the rest stops.
Sun 11 June 2017, 6.30pm - late (after the Brighton ride)
Volks Club, 3 The Colonnade, Madeira Drive, Brighton, BN2 1PS. Tel: 01273 682828
Join us to celebrate another great Brighton Naked Bike Ride, after the event, with DJs, dancing, body painting, bicycle cocktails and a chance to hang out with other riders.
The event is open to riders and ride-curious alike, and is "as underwear as you dare" (minimum: pants).
Alfresco dinner and snack food will be available from the Volks Diner - their kitchen and outdoor dining area will be open until 9pm.
This is also a fundraiser for the ride. Ticket sales and donations will help pay for next year's event.
Tickets and further details coming soon...
Ride on the day
Spread the word
The more people know about the ride, the more will come. The more people come and ride, the more successful the event will be, and the safer riders will feel.
Help organise and promote this ride
The Brighton Naked Bike Ride is an environmental and road safety protest, not a charity event. However, if you'd like to raise money for charity through sponsoring your ride, please consider supporting the following relevant organisations:
- Cyclists’ Defence Fund
- Friends Of The Earth
- Jo Walters Trust
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
Media coverage, Photos, Video, History
More information on the Brighton & Hove ride is available at:
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride – shortcut to this page
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride Facebook group (join us!)
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride Facebook page (become a fan!)
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride Yahoo! group
- WNBR UK Yahoo! group
The following Brighton bike organisations have sponsored our flyers and provided other support:
- The Bike's The Business: Bike courier company
- Cranks: DIY bike workshop
- G-Whizz Cycles: Hove second-hand cycle emporium and workshop
We are also supported and endorsed by:
- Magpie Recycling: Brighton recycling cooperative who have provided their bio-diesel flatbed truck as a support vehicle since the 2010 ride
- Press Dispensary: Press agency that have produced and distributed our press releases
- Maps of Brighton & Hove: Streetmap.co.uk / ViaMichelin / Google Maps
- Wikipedia: Brighton & Hove
- Wikipedia: Brighton
- Wikipedia: Hove
- Wikipedia: East Sussex