Brighton & Hove
Join us for a naked lunch, a seaside bike ride in the buff, a paddle in the sea and a naturist beach picnic!
Every year since 2006, Brighton has joined World Naked Bike Rides around the world to celebrate cycling and the human body. The ride demonstrates the vulnerability of cyclists on the road and is a protest against car culture.
Brighton's ninth World Naked Bike Ride will take place on Sunday 8 June 2014. Bad weather meant lower turnouts in 2013, 2012 and 2011, but we were still over 300 strong (600 in 2013). An astonishing 800-1,000 riders took part in 2010 (up from 700, 400, 180 and 160 in previous years). Many more are expected in 2014. As of the 2007 ride, following negotiations with Sussex Police, full nudity is permitted at the event.
The event is one of several UK and worldwide rides happening around the same time, including nearby Portsmouth, Southampton and London. It is scheduled to allow people to take part in other rides as well, if they like.
The ride forms part of national Bike Week (14-22 June 2014).
Please join our email list for occasional updates on the ride and related events.
Date: Sunday 8 June 2014
Time: 12 noon
Location: The Level, Union Road, Brighton, BN2 3FX (NB: return to pre-2012 start location)
Please come along if you'd like to get involved or find out more. We meet at least once a month in the run-up to the ride, from January to June.
Planning meeting #3: Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7.30pm
The Blue Man, 8 Queens Road, Brighton BN1 3WA
Post ride beach picnic
Sun 8 June 2014, approx 3.30pm/4m (after the Brighton ride)
Black Rock naturist beach, Kemp Town, Brighton
There will be a swim and beach picnic at the end of the Brighton ride.
Please bring food and drink to share.
Ride on the day
Spread the word
The more people know about the ride, the more will come. The more people come and ride, the more successful the event will be, and the safer riders will feel.
Help organise and promote this ride
The Brighton Naked Bike Ride is an environmental and road safety protest, not a charity event. However, if you'd like to raise money for charity through sponsoring your ride, please consider supporting the following relevant organisations:
- Cyclists’ Defence Fund
- Friends Of The Earth
- Jo Walters Trust
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
Media coverage, Photos, Video, History
A list of links related to this ride is also maintained at the Brighton Naked Bike Ride Yahoo! group.
More information on the Brighton & Hove ride is available at:
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride Facebook group (join us!)
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride Facebook page (become a fan!)
- Brighton Naked Bike Ride Yahoo! group
- WNBR UK Yahoo! group
The following Brighton bike organisations have sponsored our flyers and provided other support:
- Bike For Life: Cycle confidence training
- The Bike's The Business: Bike courier company
- Cranks: DIY bike workshop
- G-Whizz Cycles: Hove second-hand cycle emporium and workshop
We are also supported and endorsed by:
- Green Van Hire: Provided a grass-covered, bio-diesel support van on the 2009 and 2010 rides
- Magpie Recycling: Brighton recycling cooperative who have provided their bio-diesel flatbed truck as a support vehicle since the 2010 ride
- Press Dispensary: Press agency that have produced and distributed our press releases
Related interest groups
- Maps of Brighton & Hove: Streetmap.co.uk / ViaMichelin / Google Maps
- Wikipedia: Brighton & Hove
- Wikipedia: Brighton
- Wikipedia: Hove
- Wikipedia: East Sussex