Time: Meet at 1pm, ride at 2pm
The route is approximately 6 miles long, taking in much of the city centre and as many landmarks as we can.
West Midlands Cycle Hire is now operational in Coventry. There are docking stations at Coventry Railway Station and on Hearsall Common, less than half a mile from the start/finish point. All the information can be found here.
After efforts to get the ride off the ground in 2020 were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the WNBR finally hit the streets of Coventry for the first time in August 2021.
The day of the ride saw heavy clouds and cool temperatures, with a brief downpour just as riders were undressing - although, fortunately, the thunderstorms that had been forecast did not materialise! Despite the conditions, 32 riders happily disrobed and saddled up, with a good mixture of old faces from other rides and a few first-timers. There was even a small group of spectators at the start who had turned out specifically to cheer us on our way.
The 8.5 mile route took in most of the city centre, although we were unable to pay a visit to the statue of Lady Godiva due to a conflicting event. Although there weren't many people on the streets because of the bad weather, those who did see the ride were largely positive in their reactions, with West Midlands Police on hand to deal with any objecters who got a bit too boisterous.
All in all, the ride was a great success and seemed to be enjoyed by everyone who took part.
Huge thanks to the marshals who volunteered their time to ensure the ride ran smoothly and for everyone else for turning up and joining in despite the weather.
- Coventry Telegraph, 29 Apr 2022: "Coventry's naked bike ride to clash with BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend"
- Coventry Telegraph, 22 May 2022: "Coventry World Naked Bike Ride route unveiled"
- Coventry Observer, 22 May 2022: "World Naked Bike Ride to return to Coventry after last year's successful inaugural outing"
- Coventry Telegraph, 25 May 2022: "Radio 1 Big Weekend star Charli XCX gets invite to naked protest in Coventry"
- Birmingham Mail, 26 May 2022: "World Naked Bike Ride is in the West Midlands this weekend - and cyclists are ready to strip off"
- Coventry Telegraph, 28 May 2022: "Naked bike riders to descend on Coventry - and they hope Big Weekend crowds will notice"
- Coventry Telegraph, 28 May 2022: "Coventry's Naked Bike Ride protest in (family-friendly) pictures"
- Coventry Telegraph, 6 Jul 2021: "Cycle safety protest coming to Coventry...and campaigners will be NAKED"
- Coventry Observer, 28 Jul 2021: "World Naked Bike Ride heading to Coventry for the first time"
- Coventry Telegraph, 8 Aug 2021: "Coventry's first naked cycle ride takes to the city streets"
- Coventry Telegraph, 8 Aug 2021: "Naked bike ride protest in Coventry"
- Daily Star, 8 Aug 2021: "Inside naked bike ride as brave cyclists strip off for nude protest"