Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2014 - Cyclists of Bristol: JOIN US!
SATURDAY 7th JUNE 2014 1pm to 4pm
The ride is a celebration of the bike, cycling and to highlight the vulnerability of cyclists.
Pictures and video from this year's ride are in the 2014 section below
You don't have to be naked! The theme is "as bare as you dare" If you want to dress up, dress down or strip off to the bare bones, you are most welcome. ;-)
Meet at the (appropriately named) Full Moon Pub on North Road, Stokes Croft, Bristol BS1
They'll be body painting, flags & banners, horns to sound and whistles to blow. Come ready for a fun family ride.
The route will be 4 miles of family friendly riding through Bristol City Centre, ending up back at The Full Moon.
Date: Saturday 7 June 2014
Location: Full Moon Pub, North Road, Stokes Croft
- See also: Bath
- The Full Moon is easy to reach from both Temple Meads train station and the central Bus Station
- Wikipedia: Bristol
- Wikipedia: UK
UK rides are expected to be planned in a collective manner if possible, and York, London, Cardiff, and Brighton rides adopted this style of organisation. If Bristol opts to have a ride, we expect it would be organising through open planning meetings where decisions will be taken collectively. As an interim measure a few riders will act as sole organisers until there are enough people involved to arrange meetings.
That said, we have a ride coordinator who will facilitate the ride planning process whether or not there is a planning collective.
Here's what the coordinator normally does:
- answers people's questions with care and consideration
- keeps track of who is doing what, and how far through things people are
- deals with problems and follow the discussions at the national level
- provides email updates to let people know what's going on
- points out where and when help is needed
- acts as a contact point for general enquiries (email and sometimes mobile phone)
- maintains contact information (and keeps it secure)
Additional responsibilities that the coordinator choose to take on:
- arrange meetings, compile agendas, provide minutes
- ensure that the collective remains non-hierarchical but organised
- moderate an email list for Bristol ride planning
- Short video clip (and another) by shortnsweetsensation on Instagram
- Pictures and commentary from Rob Hawkins on Demotix.com
- Simon Hendy's Photo Blog article about the 2014 ride
- Tim's photos
- Photos from Cruithne3753 on Flickr
- Photos from MnD Photography on Flickr
- Photos from Baz Crouch on Flickr
- Photos from Adam Leggatt on Flickr
- Photos from Coolasicemandave on Flickr (log in to Flickr to see all 65)
- Photos from sophie_merlo on Flickr
- Photo by Jeremy Fennell on Flickr
- Photo by Matt on Flickr
- Photo by @RamShackleBris
- Twitter traffic from the weekend
- Google Map of the route, with description and intended timings. (Not sure if this is the exact route we followed??)
- Tim Taphouse's photos
- Photos by MnD Photography on Flickr. "Well despite the atrocious weather at the start the ride went ahead so hats(and anything else) off to these brave souls. Luckily the sun did appear to dry out and warm them up before the end."
- Simon Hendy's Photo Blog article about the 2013 ride
- Photo by Coolasicemandave on Flickr
- Photos by Myk on Flickr
- Simon Hendy's Photo Blog article about the 2012 ride
- Video by Simon Hendy on YouTube
- Video by BristolWNBR on YouTube
- Video 'WNBR Bristol 2012' by dannyc73
- Photos by IanHaskins on Flickr
- Photos by Rhisiart Hincks on Ipernity
- Photos by Zailmcc on Flickr
- Photo by Melita Dennett on Flickr
Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2011 Big Success Again Again Again! "beautiful day and beautiful ride!" A guestimate number of riders 200+ took to the streets of Bristol on Sunday 19th of June 2011 "Wow what a joy to come and bring awareness to people of the city, about the cyclist vulnerability !!"
We had funky Inline Roller Skaters come down from Birmingham, what a treat! "Hei GuYs! Had an awesome day in Bristol - beautiful weather mixed well with all the beautiful people there :-) Well done ~ thanks for letting us skate too. Like someone's body paint message said it's all about: Ass power not horse power (or something like that :-)"
It was a smooth running machine of human beings :)
"Naked bike ride at the sunny city of sanctuary today... What a day!!"
- video of the ride (youtube.com)
- Video by Charlie Blackfield (vimeo.com)
- alocin42 (flickr.com)
- IanHaskins (flickr.com)
- MG/BS4 (flickr.com)
- Danny Collier (flickr.com)
- Facebook gallery - various photographers
- Cruithne3753 (flickr.com)
- mjc772 (flickr.com)
- mjc772 panoramas (flickr.com)
-  This is the Ipernity group for all WNBR rides. There are other groups, year by year, on Ipernity, but not specifically for Bristol and normally without frontal nudity. To see the photos in the group for all years, you need to register with Ipernity (free).
- Owen G Richards
- Juan Schott
Bristol - World Naked Bike Ride 2010 Big Success!!!
The new Bristol World Naked Bike Ride on June 13th 2010 was overwhelmingly successful. We were expecting 30-50 people and we got nearer 200. There were tallbikes, a unicyclist, recumbants, tricycles, a pedal powered soundsystem, people of all shapes and sizes, and from all walks of life, Super Cow was there, plenty of Avatars, stripey people, spotty people, pink people and the naked man with big boots on a penny farthing was just a fantastic sight to behold. Under the slogan of Healthy Hearts in Car-Free Cities! the ride focused on promoting the idea of regular Car Free Sundays, and highlighting proposed traffic free environments in Bristol such as Park Street, Baldwin Street, The Centre, Corn Street...
It was just ridiculously good fun. Again, again, again!! was the cry at the end of the ride. 'Can we do this every Sunday ?!'
It was great to see how everyone stopped in their tracks as the group approached, and as soon as it went there remained a happy buzz in the air with people smiling and laughing. We really made an impact and created awareness of the need and desire for car-free Sundays in city centres.
My Bike, My Heart, My City!
Have a look on the blog for some quotes, a poem and links to loads of pictures. Bristol WNBR Blog
A big thank you to everyone who came and made this event so fantastic and a regular fixture on the Bristol Calendar!
Naked We Ride Vive la Velorution!
- This is Bristol, 14 Jun 2010, Cyclists dare to bare in the name of traffic relief
- Bristol indymedia, 13 Jun 2010, Bristol World Naked Bike Ride a Success!
- antinbath (flickr.com)
-  This is the Ipernity group for all WNBR rides. There are other groups, year by year, on Ipernity, but not specifically for Bristol. To see the photos in the group for all years, you need to register with Ipernity (free).
- solarsid (flickr.com)
- TammyLynnPhotography (flickr.com)
- IanHaskins (flickr.com)
- stringberd (flickr.com)
- princesshbd (and other pictures by princesshbd - flickr.com)
A "taster" version of this ride took place on 14 October 2006, as an activity associated with the free film screening at the Watershed Cinema at 11.45am. The screening was hosted by the Wildscreen Festival, and the numbers at the film were more than the theatre capacity (40?). Following the film, at 12.30pm the riders assembled to set off on an impromptu ride. The police decided to require the riders to cover their "genitals" at the front (for female riders, this meant breasts too). The riders complied, and then set off on a mini ride, in very cold weather. Although the ride was intended to last just 30 minutes, the 17 riders continued for an hour, and managed to pass out all the leaflets they had on hand. By and large, the ride was greeted with support and enthusiasm, and bystanders were able to discern the purpose of the ride (thanks to many signs on bikes). The BBC (Points West) filmed the event and included it in the regional TV news reports. There is a short written report on the BBC website too. There seems to be enthusiasm for a future ride in Bristol – probably in June 2008.
Click here for a google maps link to our 2010 Route Map
- 24dash.com, 14 Oct 2006: Environmentalists stage 'naked' bike ride protest
- BBC News, 14 Oct 2006: Clothes ditched for climate stunt
- Stern Report on Cost of Naked Cyclists to UK Economy, October 31st, 2006 (by Josh Hart)
Tips on safe cycling
- WNBR Bristol & Bath Yahoo! group (Now dormant)
- Bristol Critical Mass
- CTC Bristol
- Bristol Cycling Campaign
- Bath Cycling Campaign
- Lifecycle - (formerly Cycle West) is a charity that helps people take up cycling.
- Sustrans - a national organisation promoting cycling but it started as a Bristol organisation called Cyclebag
- Little Fiets - Hosted the first Bath WNBR in 2005 as part of the Wacky Races at The Wheel Thing festival. If you need things moved the kinder more ecological way, why not move it by the Little Fiets own magical milkfloat?