- See also: Bath
Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2016 - Bike riders of Bristol: JOIN US!
The ride is a celebration of the bike, cycling and to highlight the vulnerability of cyclists.
You don't have to be naked! The theme is "as bare as you dare" If you want to dress up, dress down or strip off completely, you are most welcome.
Meet from 12 noon at the (appropriately named) Full Moon (see below for directions).
There will be body painting, flags and banners, horns to sound and whistles to blow. Come ready for a fun family ride.
We depart at 2pm. The route will be 6½ miles of family-friendly gentle riding through Bristol City Centre, ending up back at The Full Moon.
Date: To be confirmed
Time: 12pm to 4pm
Location: The Full Moon Pub, North Road, Stokes Croft
- We meet in the courtyard of The Full Moon, North Road, Stokes Croft, Bristol BS1 3PR.
- It is easy to reach from Bristol Temple Meads train station and the central Bus Station
- Wikipedia: Bristol
UK rides are expected to be planned in a collective manner if possible, and York, London, Cardiff, and Brighton rides adopted this style of organisation. If Bristol opts to have a ride, we expect it would be organising through open planning meetings where decisions will be taken collectively. As an interim measure a few riders will act as sole organisers until there are enough people involved to arrange meetings.
That said, we have a ride coordinator who will facilitate the ride planning process whether or not there is a planning collective.
Here's what the coordinator normally does:
- answers people's questions with care and consideration
- keeps track of who is doing what, and how far through things people are
- deals with problems and follow the discussions at the national level
- provides email updates to let people know what's going on
- points out where and when help is needed
- acts as a contact point for general enquiries (email and sometimes mobile phone)
- maintains contact information (and keeps it secure)
Additional responsibilities that the coordinator choose to take on:
- arrange meetings, compile agendas, provide minutes
- ensure that the collective remains non-hierarchical but organised
- moderate an email list for Bristol ride planning
Over 250 riders - a new record for Bristol, in its sixth World Naked Bike Ride. The Full Moon courtyard was packed! We had great weather and a wonderful atmosphere. There were many first-timers, and we had an overwhelmingly positive response from the public. No confrontations, no police presence, no accidents. Lots of music, dancing, spontaneous high-fives and great body-painted slogans and designs.
- Facebook group and event
- Here's the route we planned (Google Map), and what we actually did (screenshot of GPS trace from neil_mc). The GPS trace doesn't include the very first bit, where the ride went left at the St James Barton roundabout, for a little loop on the A4044.
- Bristol 2015 European Green Capital event listing
- 25 March 2015, Bristol Post, Are you in the mood to ride nude?
- 14 June 2015, 365 Bristol News, Bristol's World Naked Bike Ride on the 27th June
- 22 June 2015, Bristol Post, Cyclists planning to go naked in Bristol city centre
- 27 June 2015, BBC Points West Hundreds have taken part in a naked bike ride in Bristol today... (1:47)
- 27 June 2015, BBC News, Naked bike ride highlights importance of 'being noticed'
- 27 June 2015, Bristol Post, VIDEO (warning: nudity) - cyclists bare all for Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2015
- 27 June 2015, Demotix, Hundreds join Bristol's World Naked Bike Ride 2015 -
- 28 June 2015, Western Daily Press, GALLERY: Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2015
- 30 June 2015, Bristol 24/7, Naked cyclists take to the streets of Bristol
- Heart, Naked Bike Ride Bristol 2015
- 1 July 2015, Best of Bristol, 17 Best Bits From Bristol’s Naked Bike Ride
- BBC Points West Hundreds have taken part in a naked bike ride in Bristol today... (1:47)
- By Bristol 24/7 : arrival in Queen Square (0:17), Queen Square and leaving Queen Square (0:11) on YouTube
- naked bikers.mov.mov (1:50, HD) by simon lewis on Vimeo (BBC Points West raw footage)
- WNBR Bristol 2015 (14:34) by Rog Barnes on YouTube
- Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2015 (5:00) by dannyc73 on YouTube
- Bristol naked bike ride 2015 (4:22) by flowthrown89 on YouTube
- Bristol's WNBR, a very good turn out in brilliant sunshine with a party atmosphere (3:08) by Sunflower Man
- The Bristol 2015 Naked Bike Ride (2:34) by satellitegrid.com on YouTube
- 2015 NAKED RIDE BRISTOL (1:09, HD) by STICKINMINDMTR on Vimeo
- Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2015 (0:44) by marki961 on YouTube - Dancing in Millennium Square.
- Who forgot her trousers??? (0:32) by Sammy Lou on YouTube
- Twitter videos by @TessaBeeching (0:20), Made in Bristol TV (0:20)
- Reasons why Bristol is the greatest city ever: The Naked Bike Ride (0:20) by @BristolBestof
- A missing clip from 2015 Bristol's World Naked Bike Ride, two very happy riders (0:26) by Sunflower Man - Dancing at City Hall
- Instagram videos by ___joanna__louise__, alexa_tizi, bellaballs, byoung_uk_choi, danielfox89, hawaaii, harrycarronn, ivaschuck, larimsc, by mrjordanmorse, peipoff, rrrrrrabbit_, soni2402, tinayan14, trumpette310, zyingt
Galleries (Flickr links that don't appear to work may require you to log in first)
- Simon (255 pictures)
- Mark (215 pictures)
- Si (128 pictures)
- Danny (105 pictures)
- staceylou (100 pictures)
- Mike (70 pictures)
- I need a cuppa (61 pictures)
- Constance (54 pictures)
- Wobble Bottom (45 pictures)
- Tim (43 pictures)
- Matt (43 photos)
- Salseros (42 pictures)
- Nige (38 pictures)
- Clive (36 pictures)
- Martin (35 photos)
- michaelgrr (35 photos)
- neil (32 pictures)
- Christos (26 pictures)
- Yendor_123 (26 pictures)
- redorbital (25 pictures)
- Jeremy (12 photos)
- John191cr (7 photos)
2014 - 5. Over 60 riders. Good weather, happy riders, and great reactions from the public!
- Facebook event
- Facebook group
- Short video clip (and another) by shortnsweetsensation on Instagram
- Pictures and commentary from Rob Hawkins on Demotix.com
- Simon Hendy's Photo Blog article about the 2014 ride
- Charlie's photos
- Tim's photos
- Flickr galleries (log in to ensure you can see them all) from Cruithne3753, MnD Photography, Baz Crouch, Adam Leggatt, Coolasicemandave, sophie_merlo, Jeremy Fennell, Matt
2013 - 4. Great turn out. Rain and a brief heavy downpour, but the sun came out towards the end and it turned into a lovely afternoon.
- Facebook event and group
- Google Map of the route, with description and intended timings. (Not sure if this is the exact route we followed??)
- Video of 2013 ride
- Tim's photos
- Photos by MnD Photography on Flickr. "Well despite the atrocious weather at the start the ride went ahead so hats(and anything else) off to these brave souls. Luckily the sun did appear to dry out and warm them up before the end."
- Simon Hendy's Photo Blog article about the 2013 ride
- Flickr galleries from Coolasicemandave, Myk, Red Bay Blue
2012 - 3.
- Simon Hendy's Photo Blog article about the 2012 ride
- Video by Simon Hendy on YouTube
- Video by BristolWNBR on YouTube
- Video 'WNBR Bristol 2012' by dannyc73
- Photos by IanHaskins on Flickr
- Photos by Rhisiart Hincks on Ipernity
- Photos by Zailmcc on Flickr
- Photo by Melita Dennett on Flickr
2011 - 2. Bristol World Naked Bike Ride Big Success Again Again Again! "beautiful day and beautiful ride!" A guestimate number of riders 200+ took to the streets of Bristol on Sunday 19th of June 2011 "Wow what a joy to come and bring awareness to people of the city, about the cyclist vulnerability !!"
We had funky Inline Roller Skaters come down from Birmingham, what a treat! "Hei GuYs! Had an awesome day in Bristol - beautiful weather mixed well with all the beautiful people there :-) Well done ~ thanks for letting us skate too. Like someone's body paint message said it's all about: Ass power not horse power (or something like that :-)"
It was a smooth running machine of human beings :)
"Naked bike ride at the sunny city of sanctuary today... What a day!!"
- Bristol World Naked Bike Ride 2011 (14:54) by BristolWNBR on YouTube
- Bristol Naked Bike Ride 2011 (4:53) by Charlie Blackfield on Vimeo
- Flickr galleries from (log in to ensure you can see all the pictures) alocin42, IanHaskins, MG/BS4, Danny Collier, Cruithne3753, mjc772, mjc772 panoramas, Owen G Richards, topmeadow, Juan Schott
- Facebook gallery - various photographers
2010 - 1. Bristol's First World Naked Bike Ride Big Success!!!
The new Bristol World Naked Bike Ride on June 13th 2010 was overwhelmingly successful. We were expecting 30-50 people and we got nearer 200. There were tallbikes, a unicyclist, recumbants, tricycles, a pedal powered soundsystem, people of all shapes and sizes, and from all walks of life, Super Cow was there, plenty of Avatars, stripey people, spotty people, pink people and the naked man with big boots on a penny farthing was just a fantastic sight to behold. Under the slogan of Healthy Hearts in Car-Free Cities! the ride focused on promoting the idea of regular Car Free Sundays, and highlighting proposed traffic free environments in Bristol such as Park Street, Baldwin Street, The Centre, Corn Street...
It was just ridiculously good fun. Again, again, again!! was the cry at the end of the ride. 'Can we do this every Sunday ?!'
It was great to see how everyone stopped in their tracks as the group approached, and as soon as it went there remained a happy buzz in the air with people smiling and laughing. We really made an impact and created awareness of the need and desire for car-free Sundays in city centres.
My Bike, My Heart, My City! - Have a look on the Bristol WNBR Blog for some quotes, a poem and links to loads of pictures.
A big thank you to everyone who came and made this event so fantastic and a regular fixture on the Bristol Calendar!
Naked We Ride Vive la Velorution!
- 2010 route map (Google Maps)
- This is Bristol, 14 Jun 2010, Cyclists dare to bare in the name of traffic relief
- Bristol indymedia, 13 Jun 2010, Bristol World Naked Bike Ride a Success!
-  This is the Ipernity group for all WNBR rides. There are other groups, year by year, on Ipernity, but not specifically for Bristol. To see the photos in the group for all years, you need to register with Ipernity (free).
- Flickr galleries: antinbath, solarsid, TammyLynnPhotography, IanHaskins, stringberd, princesshbd
2006 A "taster" version of this ride took place on 14 October 2006, as an activity associated with the free film screening at the Watershed Cinema at 11.45am. The screening was hosted by the Wildscreen Festival, and the numbers at the film were more than the theatre capacity (40?). Following the film, at 12.30pm the riders assembled to set off on an impromptu ride. The police decided to require the riders to cover their "genitals" at the front (for female riders, this meant breasts too). The riders complied, and then set off on a mini ride, in very cold weather. Although the ride was intended to last just 30 minutes, the 17 riders continued for an hour, and managed to pass out all the leaflets they had on hand. By and large, the ride was greeted with support and enthusiasm, and bystanders were able to discern the purpose of the ride (thanks to many signs on bikes). The BBC (Points West) filmed the event and included it in the regional TV news reports. There is a short written report on the BBC website too. There seems to be enthusiasm for a future ride in Bristol – probably in June 2008.
- 24dash.com, 14 Oct 2006: Environmentalists stage 'naked' bike ride protest
- BBC News, 14 Oct 2006: Clothes ditched for climate stunt
- Stern Report on Cost of Naked Cyclists to UK Economy, October 31st, 2006 (by Josh Hart)
Tips on safe cycling
- Bristol Critical Mass wiki and Facebook group
- CTC - the national cycling charity (and CTC Bristol)
- Bristol Cycling Campaign and Facebook group
- Bath Cycling Campaign
- Lifecycle - a charity that helps people take up cycling.
- Sustrans - a national organisation promoting cycling, which started in Bristol.