Date: Sunday 12 March 2006
Location: Merewether Surf Life Saving Club
A Post-Ride Party was held at the Newcastle Surf Life Saving Club at beautiful Newcastle Beach. The Post Ride Party was attended by all the riders who completed the WNBR Nudecastle 2006, the friendly vetted media and one of the WNBR Nudecastle 2005 vetrans.
The prizes were three bikes in excellent condition donated by Critical Mass Newcastle.
Prize 1: Encouraging Participation! A bike was given to the contestant who recruited the highest number of participants to join and complete the ride with the contestant.
Prize 2: Encouraging Female Participation! A bike was given to the female contestant who recruits the highest number of female participants to join and complete the ride with the contestant.
Prize 3: Best Individual Body Paint! A bike was given to the rider who completes the ride and who is judged to be best decorated with body paint by the most acclaim of participants who complete the ride.
Rules and Conditions of the Contest
- Contestants for prize 1 and 2 need to assemble the participants they have recruited at the start of the ride and the finish of the ride for a head count.
- Participants may not be considered to be recruited by more than one contestant.
- The deciding head count will be made at the completion of the ride.
- In the event of a tie in the number of participants recruited who complete the ride, the prizes will be awarded to the rider who has recruited the equal highest number of participants who are judged to be best decorated with body paint by the most acclaim of participants who complete the ride.
- In the event that prize number 1 is won by a female, then she is not also eligible to prize number 2 if she has recruited the most female riders to join and complete the ride. In these circumstances, prize number 2 will be awarded to the female who has recruited the second highest number of female participants to join and who complete the ride.
- Prize winners will be determined in the sequence of prize numbers.
- No contestant is eligible to more than 1 prize.
- In the event that prize winners cannot agree to which of the three bikes that each winner should take as their prize, the winner of prize 1 has first choice, the winner of prize 2 has 2nd choice and the winner of prize 3 gets the remaining prize.
- The competition is not open to established WNBR Nudecastle or Critical Mass organisers.
Publicity: flyers, posters, images etc
Critical Mass Newcastle and the World Naked Bike Ride endorse and participate in all events held under both names in Newcastle. Critical Mass ride on the first Friday of every month and starts from Civic Park, opposite Newcastle Town Hall. Assemble at 5:45pm for a 6:00pm start. Ride Daily! Celebrate Monthly!
Orientation barbecue and body painting party
was held on Saturday 4 March 2006 at Lass O'Gowrie, 14 Railway Street, Wickham 2293, NSW
This pre-ride icebreaker event was a big success for the 30 or so people who intent to participate in the WNBR Nudecastle 2006. Drinking, team-building exercises and mandatory introductions were included as well as a practice body-painting session. Ian the publican was a great host and has welcomed us back next year. For a map of how to get there, please visit the Lass O'Gowrie website.
Feeling at ease
This icebreaker social event helped inform potential participants of what to expect during the WNBR Nudecastle 2006 and to make friends with everyone there who intended to ride. Riding in any WNBR is daunting for the first time and worse if you turn up alone and don't know anyone. Participants were encouraged to offer each other support and female participants to make an extra effort to bond with their sisters. Any woman that wants to volunteer for the role of Women’s Support Woman for future rides is welcome. All participants are encouraged to welcome and engage with everyone who turns up at the beginning of our rides whether they have attended preliminary events or not. Body painting in preparation for rides can be done in segregated groups and without any media present.
Media enquiries for Australia and Newcastle: please contact Marte Kinder.
Several freelance professional media people attended the WNBR Nudecastle 2006 including a photographer and a video producer. The photographers and the video producer also attended the 2005 event and are vetted by the organisers. The manner in which these people conducted themselves was impeccable and they portrayed the participants respectfully. The WNBR Nudecastle 2006 was photographed and filmed by our vetted media (apart from the undressing and painting). Some participants heavily disguising themselves with body paint and sunglasses etc. The still photographs taken by the photographers are available to be viewed in low definition format on the WNBR Newcastle Yahoo! group and ready for distribution to the press in print-quality format within hours of the ride completion. High definition photos of the 2006 event are available at the WNBR Australia (official website). High definition photos of the 2005 event are also available at the WNBR Australia (official website). The photos are copyright, so permission of the photographer must be sought before they can be reproduced or otherwise used. Credit for the photos must be given.
A video of cycling activists in Newcastle featuring Critical Mass and the WNBR Nudecastle 2005 was shown by the video producer who shot the WNBR Nudecastle 2005. He supplied the following invitation:
- A broadcast of a special edition of the Novocast program Lou's World* on Newcastle Community Television will take place at the Royal Exchange, Bolton Street, Newcastle (Next to Herald building), on Monday 20 February 2006 at 9.30pm.
- The documentary on Cycle Activists will feature Critical Mass, The White Bicycle Project, (some body painting) and The World Naked Bike.
- Also on the Optus 3b Satellite at the same time if you happen to have the $850 aerial otherwise a Gold coin donation.
- (Jeees $850 for an aerial!! In the black and white days we just used a coat hanger!!)
- (Program contains nudity) This is a media event and you will be photographed. (* Lou's World is not connected with this episode)
A stall was set up at University of Newcastle during orientation week (13-17 February), promoting Critical Mass and the World Naked Bike Ride. Many students took an interest in WNBR and the theme of promoting peace and protecting the environment. The organisers were helped during O Week by the Newcastle University Students Association (NUSA), the NUSA Environment Collective, theNUSA Transport Collective, Rising Tide and the University Union. Big thanks to everyone at the University from WNBR. In the week before the ride, more posters and flyers were distributed on campus as a reminder to students to participate.
- Endicott, Daniel Nude-up for climate change, The Hunter Advocate, Grassroots Media Inc., April-May 2006, download edition as a PDF document see page 15 and cartoon on page 6 playing with the theme.
For reports on the actual World Naked Bike Ride - Nudecastle 2006 see the Newcastle archive.
Return to WNBR Newcastle page.