Date: Sunday 21 Mar 2010
Time: 11am for 12pm ride
Location: The Kuttabul Place carpark (at the end of Barrine Drive), immediately SW of the Commonwealth Avenue and Parkes Way junction
Check the links in the 2010 Photos and 2010 Videos sections (below) for photos, video and commentary of the 2010 ride.
- World Naked Bike Ride - Canberra 2010 Facebook event has some post ride commentary and links to photos etc.
Canberra will ride at 12pm on Sunday 21 March. Come early (10.30/11.00am) for bodypainting, bike decoration and general prep. Remember it's bare as you dare, so there's no pressure to strip all the way down. (See the dot point list at the end of this section regarding ride requirements..)
If you want to support the ride, but don't want to actually ride, you are welcome to help with organising the ride, bodypainting on the day, providing water/drinks halfway through the ride and so much more.. just let us know you are interested.
The ride will be FREE! Everyone is welcome to join the ride. After the ride there might be a BBQ, beers at the pub or some other type of celebration which will probably be pay-as-you-go.
This is the current route planned for WNBR Canberra Ride - 21 March 2010.
The start location is indicated with a red place marker on the above map. 35.286265,149.125875&spn=0.001848,0.003428&z=18 Google satellite image of the start location.
OK, so the ride in it's current incarnation in Canberra might be more accurately described as the World Scantily Clad Bike Ride. Federal Police and ACT/Federal authorities have requested our compliance with the following:
- You MUST have a proper bike helmet.
- You MUST have bike lights, front and rear.
- Bring a bike lock.
- Bring your friends.
- You need to arrive clothed. Seriously, some people have not done this.
- You need decent shoes for cycling because you may hurt your feet otherwise.
- You need somewhere to put your clothes while you are riding. A luggage rack on your bike, or panniers or a basket that you can put your bag with your clothes. We have a support crew who can transport your belongings to the refreshment stops along the way if you wish to not carry anything during your ride.
- Clothing is optional on the ride, but the Australian Federal Police have requested that a minimal amount of clothing or bodypaint is worn on the ride this year ie: cover nipples on girls, and coverage of genitals on both genders.
- Bring a bottle of water. You are also welcome to bring food to eat with other riders after the ride.
- Bring sunscreen.
- Do NOT bring alcohol or drugs. Ride in control and safe. Obviously intoxicated or drug affected people will not be allowed on the ride.
- Children are recommended to wear some clothing such as underwear on the ride. It’s a long way for little tykes and sensitive skin.
- Guard against inflammation by covering seats, and using anti-chafe products. We will have some seat covers available on the day.
- Roller bladers, consider knee, elbow and hand protection.
- Please advise us if you do not want to be photographed or filmed. We will have some face masks available for a few.
- We will be riding on the roads this time around so we need to obey the traffic rules for cyclists eg: two abreast in a lane, stopping at traffic lights etc (The AFP may provide some assistance at tricky intersections if they have resources or traffic is bad on the day).
World Naked Bike Ride - Canberra 2010 Planning Sk8 and Ride
Ride and sk8 fun followed by drinks, food and chat about WNBR
We are meeting weekly at The Front, 2pm on Sundays. Refer to Facebook:
- WNBR Canberra 2010 Planning Sk8 and Ride Facebook event
Canberra will hold a WNBR in 2010. There is a facebook event for the ride: World Naked Bike Ride - Canberra 2010.
There is keen interest among the WNBR Canberra Facebook network to participate in a 2010 ride. Several people have shown an interest in helping the event in one way or another and a Organising team has formed.
An initial planning meeting was held on 21 Dec 09 with subsequent meetings held every Sunday at 2pm at the Front (Lyneham shops). Please join the planning meeting group: World Naked Bike Ride - Canberra 2010 Planning Sk8 and Ride on facebook to get involved and volunteer. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Please also add Wnbr Canberra as a Facebook friend for updates, networking and volunteering.
On the weekend before the ride in collaboration with Canberra Muscian's Club we are holding a party called "CICLONUDISTA". Come and see some of Canberra's best bands and have a trial bodypaint. Five great bands (possibly playing less than fully clothed). Free body painting, licensed bar, freak and vintage bikes, clothing is optional, enjoying yourself is not.
Sat 13th March, 8pm
MacGregor Hall, Acton
$10/8 (CMC members)
Dub Dub Goose
James Fahy Trio
Visit the facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=323351362598#!/event.php?eid=323351362598
- aap image, 21 Mar 2010, World Naked Bike Ride
- WNBR Canberra on Picasa
- Culturazi, 26 Mar 2010, World Naked Bike Ride Canberra 2010 – Pics
- Canberra City News, 25-31 Mar 2010 edition, page 5: "Lots of pants in naked cycle"
- ABC/JJJ Hack, 23 Mar 2010: "Less cars, more bikes, no clothes!" by John Barrington (includes photos and MP3)
- RiotACT news forum, 22 Mar 2010: "Leading the pack on the World Naked Bike Ride" by johnboy
- BigPond News, 21 Mar 2010: "Naked cyclists draw attention to climate"
- TV2 Nythene, 21 Mar 2010: "Syklet nakne for miljøet"
- RiotACT news forum, 13 Mar 2010: "World Naked Bike Ride – Canberra" by snowball alice
- Talking Canberra, 6 Mar 2010: "Canberra world naked bike ride 21st March 2010" by enviro
Publicity: flyers, posters, images etc
Canberra Ride 21 March 2010
This is the current flyer/poster to be used for the WNBR Canberra 2010 to help promote participation. Please print these and stick them up where people will see them.
If you want to print some stickers.. try these on for size
Canberra Ride Fundraiser 13 March 2010
This is the current flyer/poster to be used for the WNBR Canberra Fundraiser - 13 March 2010. Please print these and stick them up where people will see them.