Date: Saturday 13 June 2015
Time: Gather at 12 noon for socializing, body painting, bike decorating etc. Bring food to share if you wish. Ride starts at 1 pm, following a route along several major streets in the downtown core.
Location: It starts at Coronation Park (by the waterfront at the centre of the park)
In order to stay in touch be sure to sign up to get ride updates directly at World Naked Bike Ride, and/or check this Toronto WNBR wiki.
Facebook has deleted its Toronto WNBR group just before rides and thereby subverts our event by first attracting new riders then shutting them out. Even if some riders subscribe to Facebook and Facebook happens to own a "Toronto WNBR" page at the moment, don't depend on it or take it seriously; it belongs to Facebook, not to any of us, and it is subject to vanish.
If you would like to create and contribute a poster for this ride, please do and share it!
Click here for larger version Jumbo size (I also have a layered file so the image can be re-purposed for future rides, target audiences, different versions etc.)
A WNBR Toronto 2015 poster by Leif Harmsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
-Print and put up posters.
-Print hand-bills and attach to parked bikes and hand out.
-If the Metro or 24 hour boxes are empty, (they're not filled on the weekends), you can slip a poster in the window of the box.
-Email your friends, family and colleagues.
-Post it, blog it, spread the word!
Start: Coronation Park by the lake. South of the CNE's Princes Gate. Meet at 12:00 noon, ride 1pm. Bring water and sunblock, and perhaps a picnic lunch and decorating materials. Coronation Park on the waterfront has always served us well as a picturesque and practical gathering/staring point.
Route The clockwise route passes many of Toronto's landmarks and popular areas. Highlights include Trinity Bellwood's Park, Kensington Market, University of Toronto, Queen's Park, Yorkville, Yonge Street, Church Street, Ryerson University, Dundas Square, City Hall and the bank towers on Bay Street. The official end is at the Jack Layton Memorial Ferry Docks where some riders depart by Ferry to Hanlan's clothing optional beach while others scoot west across Queens Quay back to Coronation Park.
We may altar the route slightly to avoid road construction, because someone has a really good detour idea, or just to shake things up.
What to bring
- Signs for yourself and your bike
- Body paints
- A personal picnic lunch including beverages for the day
- Bicycle helmet – let's be good role models!
-Lipstick works great for body paint. Remember, if it is hot outside, they become soft, but last the day.
-Bike carriers. Front or back. They are a safe and convenient way to carry your things.
- Old style potato carving stamps work. Paint your carving with paint or lipstick and stamp it on yourself.
-Funny hats, funny bikes
-Can't ride? Rent a bike taxi. Roller blade.
-This is your event and as such there is neither a dress code nor any kind of fashion-nazi. What and how much you wear (if anything) is entirely your prerogative. Otherwise, what would be the point in being you?
It is perfectly legal for women to go topless in Canada anywhere that a man might, which includes cycling on city streets.
Furthermore, the Crown has acknowledged that participating in an orderly event naked is not illegal, so long as you are wearing something, such as shoes. (<- Those links now work! June 2012)
And you will also be happy to know that we had a polite and respectful bicycle police escort from 2005 to 2010, who kindly stopped traffic for us on busy left turns, and who did their best to keep us all together as a group.
There's been a surge of interest in recent years - in part because of the radical trajectory the Canadian federal government has taken against ecological, economic and financial sustainability. Canada is running itself into the ground in every way imaginable in order to pad the pockets of a few; a policy more typical of third world failing states. If it feels like there's a strong political headwind, there is, leaving only one option for those of us who care about ourselves, our home planet and all future generations: to pedal harder, inspire and prevail.
It would be great if someone could take the time to research for missed media from previous years - there's probably a lot of interesting material to dig up.
World Naked Bike Ride: Photo Gallery Ethan Eisenburg, Now Magazine
World Naked Bike Ride Toront James Hamilton, Toronto Grand Prix Tourist
5 Facts to Entice Your Participation In The World Naked Bike Ride Beach Mirror, Inside Toronto
Photo Album Eric Parker
Photo Album Phil Marion
WNBR 2015 Toronto Promotional Movie 1 Gene Dare
WNBR 2015 Toronto Promotional Movie 2 Gene Dare
The World Naked Bike Ride Jenette Martin, NOW Magazine
'm guessing around 200 riders came out for the 10th Anniversary Ride, but maybe someone actually counted. The day was lovely, people were in good spirits and enthusiastic. Naked News made a splash at Coronation Park where we gather. Riders were as usual a very mixed lot which is good to see because everyone is welcome. One rider is in his 70's! We did early photo ops at Denison Park in Kensington Market and in front of Queen's Park, in addition to the usual line up in front of City Hall. This year we altered the route slightly to go through Ryerson University where in the courtyard a wedding party was thrilled to death! I got to hold the WNBR championship trophy - the one featured in the new WNBR 2015 Toronto poster - Everyone is a champ at the WNBR - we champion a cleaner and healthier future. A group "peeled off" at the ferry docks and went over to Hanlan's Point Beach for a glorious afternoon in the sun. Press is thin on the ground this year so far, but then again the ride is barely over - more might appear by tomorrow.
World Naked Bike Ride Toronto Min Lee
Nude Bike Riders Protest on City Streets Marcus Hondro, Digital Journal
Naked Cyclists Streaking Across Toronto Katelyn Verstraten, Toronto Star
Naked Cyclists Streak Across Toronto staff writer, Metro News
Naked Cyclists Ride Through Toronto staff writer, Global News
Naked Cyclists Ride Across Toronto Protest Oil Dependency staff writer, Xinhua News Agency at globalpost.com
Naked Cyclists Ride Across Toronto Against Oil Dependency , Vancouver Desi
World Newsbits for June , Manilla Bulletin
WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE - Promotion Gene Dare
WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE TORONTO .COM WNBR Toronto Photo Archive - a work in progress.
WNBR Toronto Social Group The Nook
WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE - 2013 Slideshow Gene Dare
WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE - Promotion Gene Dare
World Naked Bike Ride in Toronto Toronto Star
Naked cyclists take message to Toronto streets Julia Alexander, Toronto Sun
World Naked Bike Ride hits Toronto, protests oil dependency Globe and Mail
Ride Along WNBR Toronto 2013-540p Enlightened Couples
WNBR Toronto 2013 Naughty Toronto Blog
Parade of flesh rolls through Toronto Rolling Spoke
Search Getty Images
It’s back. FS Local
Toronto Naked Bike Ride Howard Pang
WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE 2013 Eric Parker
Flickr Search Flickr
World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2013 Victorinoxs
It was a perfect ride - perfect 28C weather, wonderful participants and some good press. Estimates stood between 100 and 200 riders, the press mostly reported 150. It was definitely the largest Toronto WNBR yet. Road construction near the start did not slow us down much. One participant, Oscar, was not even a year old and is probably the youngest participant yet! He seemed to enjoy the 14km ride in the sun - wearing a smart summer outfit while his mom pedalled as most riders did, naked. Some police happened by at the start but once again they did not join us for the ride. Traffic was calm, apart from all the welcome honking and cheering, and respectful. We rode through a giant rummage sale at Trinity Bellwoods, Convocation at U of T and the NXNE music festival at Dundas Square. We ended the ride at the park by the Toronto Island Ferry Docks. Some participants continued back to the starting point while a bunch of us caught a Ferry to the beautiful Toronto Islands, where we enjoyed the long summer late afternoon at Hanlan's Point beach. Toronto looked great and so did we!
- Press: World Naked Bike Ride: Toronto cyclists bare down by Antonia Zerbisias Toronto Star Newspaper and Metro
- Press: World Naked Bike Ride 2012: Two wheels, no clothes by R. Jeanette Martin, NOW Magazine (great photos!)
- Press: Free Wheeling by David Hanes, The Grid
- Press: World Naked Bike Ride Day rolls into Toronto Global News
- Press: James Hamilton's Blog
- Press: World Naked Bike Ride streaks into Toronto by City News
- Press: World Naked Bike Riders bike in the buff to raise awareness by Marcus Hondro, Digital Journal
- Press: Whoever said no nudes is good news was wrong by Doug Speirs, Winnipeg Free Press
- Press: Cyclists bare all for the environment by Lovingtheride
- Press: So much for the New World Order by Terry Galvin, the Ottawa Citizen. (Galvin while sympathetic to the cause characterises the WNBR and Canada as "frivolous" while failing to offer anything constructive. ed.)
- Press: Toronto hosts tour no-pants by Jenny Yuen Sun Media
- Press: NOW Toronto, Daily Tip Sheet
- Press: Toronto Star, WORLD Section (A3), Sun 19 June 2012 (printed edition, not on internet) "Riders grin and bare it" with pictures from WNBR rides in Toronto, London UK and San Francisco. "The eighth annual World Naked Bike Ride took place in 70 cities in 20 countries around the world on Saturday. In Toronto, above, about 150 riders started out in Coronation Park to support the ride's purpose of bringing attention to automobile pollution and the dangers cars pose to cyclists. In London, England, right, hundreds took part while in San Francisco, below, the ride certainly caught the attention of passersby."
- Video: World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2012 by Gene Dare (great video slideshow!)
- Video: 2012 World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) Toronto by victorinoxs on Youtube
- Video: World Naked Bike Ride thru Kensington Market, Toronto - 2012 by mollyjet on Youtube]
- Video: Naked Bike Ride - Toronto 2012 by JogBird on Youtube
- Video: Naked bikers in Toronto by PS3SHARP on Youtube
- Video: World Naked Bicycle Ride June 16 2012 by daroms on Youtube (A few riders continued past the finish at the Toronto Island Ferry to return to Coronation Park at the end.)
- Photos: Photos of the World Naked Bike Ride in Toronto 2012 by Scott Snider
- Photos: World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2012 by thelearningcurvedotca
- Photos: World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2012 by BikeKing
- Photos: Photos of the World Naked Bike Ride in Toronto by BlogTO staff - and a particularly lively comments discussion.
- Photos: World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2012 by Bare Oaks (Yahoo! excludes non-members from seeing these photos.)
- Photos: Nudist Me by Peter Lainas
- Photos: The Toronto World Naked Bike Ride by Ron Proudfoot
- Photos: World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2012 photo slideshow by Ron Proudfoot
- Photos: World Naked Bike Ride Toronto 2012 by Igor Laptev
- Photos: И снова ежегодный голозаезд by Igor Laptev, Toronto Resident on Livejournal
- Photos: Ежегодный заезд голых велосипедистов в Торонто Igor Laptev, Author Bike on Livejournal
Despite dire predictions of storms that never materialised, the ride was our biggest ever with approximately 150 ladies and gentlemen on our bicycles. We took a new route that went clockwise throughout the downtown core and passed new landmarks such as University of Toronto's King's College Circle, The Ontario Legislature at Queen's Park where we rode past a wedding that the newly-weds will never forget, and the heart of Canada's Financial District at King and Bay where important and often unsound financial decisions are made about our future and environment. Spirits were high among riders and the cheering public in general. Once again the police did not join us but we handily negotiated traffic ourselves. More media types than ever were present and the ride enjoyed much good and well deserved press.
- WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE - THE SHORT DOCUMENTARY 4 min. Directed by Toronto filmmaker Tharanga Ramanayake
- Video: WNBR 2011 Toronto at Dundas Square courtesy of "Victorinoxs" on Youtube. alternate link to same movie
- Video: WNBR 2011 Toronto at College & Spadina courtesy of "keepitinthefamily" on Youtube. alternate link to same movie
- Video: WNBR 2011 Toronto at Queen W courtesy of "shapon10" on Youtube.
- Video: WNBR 2011 Toronto courtesy of "tbonedunlop" on Youtube.
- Video: WNBR 2011 Toronto courtesy of "Vladephoto" on Youtube.
- Video: WNBR 2011 Toronto at Yonge & Bloor courtesy of "torontominute" on Youtube.
- Video: An open video invitation on Vimeo by participant Tom Balint to join everyone for the WNBR 2012 in Toronto!
- Photos: Tom Balint (freely view and upload)
- Photos: Scott Snider
- Photos: Igor Laptev
- Photos: Gene Dare
- Photos: Galit Rodan
- Press: TorontoVerve
- Press: Toronto Sun
- Press: City News
- Press: James Hamilton
- Press: The Sojourner
- Press: Sheila Gostick: Now Magazine
- Press: Marlene Leung: Torontoist
- Press: Tom Balint: Brock Press
- Press: staff:BlogTO
- Press: National Post
The 2010 Toronto WNBR made a splash! 16C and rain didn't stop 80 or so enthusiastic upbeat people from enjoying the good clean fun protest against fossil fuel dependency. Riders ranged in age from under 10 to near 70 with a good number of both women and men. One couple rode on a side-by-side tandem called the "buddy bike". There was much festive dress-up and body-painting. The police had said that they were going to join us for the ride but they did not; we were able to manage traffic ourselves. The public was most appreciative, perhaps partly because of the terrible oil spill in the Gulf. It only started raining hard at the very end as we arrived at the finishing point.
- Photos: WNBR 2010 photo server courtesy of Tom-In-Niagara (freely view and upload)
- Press: KJ Mullins reports with an article, pictures and video!
- Audio: CBC Interview
- Video: movie courtesy of Bare Oaks
- Photos: Bare Oaks (flickr.com membership required)
The 2009 Toronto WNBR was a hit! Over 100 women and men came out (110?), including a few that joined spontaneously along the route! Riders ranged from age 16 to near 70 and came from as far away as Ohio! The bicycle police did not join us this year, perhaps because we have always been so orderly that they thought it unnecessary. While we missed their help in guiding traffic on our behalf, a few volunteers were able to assume that role and did so well. Due to street closures for a festival, we took a small detour along Front Street at the start. We somehow took a wrong turn onto College Street near Kensington Market, but managed to quickly get back on route!
Facebook (an infamous privately owned networking website) censored/removed the 2 year old WNBR Toronto Facebook Group but inexplicably left the orphaned WNBR Toronto 2009 Facebook Event that has all the same perfectly innocent content. Facebook and the like have proven to be worse than useless and antagonistic - they have their own corporate anti-humanist agendas which are not compatible with the WNBR - they prop up the myth that humans are obscene and that a new SUV will make you deliriously happy. I reject Facebook because it is unacceptable, k-zap, gone. It parrots people you know to create an illusion that they are somehow helpful for socialising and that you'll be banished if you reject it - they're not and you won't be. Some things one has to do for oneself; socialising is one. It is best to maintain our own emailing lists so that we can contact each other directly, and direct each other and the public to this wiki at www.worldnakedbikeride.org.
- Press: Now Magazine, with video
- Press: Jenny Yuen: Toronto Sun (preview)
- Press: Jenny Yuen: Toronto Sun (review)
- Video: Toronto 2009: On Youtube
- Photos: Toronto 2009 WNBR from Spike's Naked Planet
The 2008 ride in Toronto was the biggest yet. 75+ women and men participated. Once again the weather was ideal, the police courteous and the public enthusiastic and supportive. Artist Leif Harmsen had created posters to advertise the event, as had another volunteer, and efforts had been made to distribute them around downtown Toronto and online.
The 2007 ride in Toronto was the best yet. The weather was ideal. 30+ women and men participated and a new contingent from Hamilton joined up with us shortly after we set out. The police escort was courteous and the public was very supportive and showed much appreciation. The press coverage was generally very good - with a few excellent quotes and a clear reporting of the WNBR mandate and global scope.
The 2006 ride in Toronto was plagued by lack of organisation and cold weather, but we ended up having a great time. Someone faxed incorrect info to the Toronto police, who showed up at Coronation Park several hours before the rest of us. They ended up having a very long day, but were good sports about it.
We started gathering around 11:30, and left on our ride at about 13:00. It was only about 14 degrees, but the sun was very intense and it warmed up nicely. We took a nice long winding route through the downtown core, and encountered a warm if low-key reception from the good citizens of Toronto. It's amazing how many people downtown happen to have cameras with them.
Our police escort hung back for the most part, but assisted us through a few intersections and left turns. We look forward to better weather and an increase in numbers for 2007, and hope to have a few women join us.
Edited by John aka Scoutniagara and Spike
Ride report at TNT!MEN: Toronto 2005 World Naked Bike Ride: Fun and Fabulous! This page includes a number of reports from the 2005 ride, and provides links to photos of the 2004 and 2005 rides.
- Photos: Spike's Naked Planet/TNT!MEN
- Photos: Adult Worldgroups' Naturist Ontario Photos (Adult Worldgroups excludes non-members from seeing photos on its website.)
- Video: See TNT!MEN: Toronto 2005 World Naked Bike Ride: Fun and Fabulous! (click video stills at bottom of page)
We had about 40 or 50 riders on the Toronto 2004 ride from Grange Park, but had a difference of opinion from two different police divisions, so for the 2005 ride, after a lack of leadership, a meeting place, Coronation Park was chosen. It worked out well, but we weren't able to advertise in sufficient time to draw more riders. We only had 10 riders, but I think we had a great and successful ride.
- Photos: Spike's Naked Planet/TNT!MEN
- Photos: Worldgroup's Naturist Ontario photos (Adult Worldgroups excludes non-members from seeing photos on its website.)
- Photos: Yahoo!'s WNBR Toronto Group photos (Yahoo! excludes non-members from seeing photos on its website.)
- TNT!MEN (Totally Naked Toronto Men Enjoying Nudity) – TNT!MEN is famous for marching naked in the Toronto Gay Pride parade, and for convincing City Hall to declare Hanlan's Point officially clothing-optional. Members of TNT have participated in every ride since the first in 2004.
- Naturist Ontario
- Google map of Coronation Park with meeting point marked
- Google map of entire Toronto route
- Wikipedia: Toronto
- Wikipedia: Ontario