Seattle route 2008
There will be three major Seattle rides for 2008, our fifth year of organizing rides! Rides were scheduled for Sat, July 12 (starting at Gas Works Park) + Sun, Aug 17, 2008 (starting at Denny Blaine Park) + Sat, September 6, 2008 (starting at Camp Long).
6 Sept 2008
WNBR Seattle Ride #9 will take place on Saturday, 6 September 2008 during the WNBR West Seattle (Ride + Retreat + Run) event. Here are the tentative details about the various components of the event:
Body painting Party
The Body painting Party will take place at Camp Long in the Lodge
main room upstairs classroom, located downstairs after entering the main entrance to Camp Long. The party is tentatively scheduled to take place from 12:30 PM - 3 PM.
We will also be making "minimums" for wearing outside the Lodge classroom on Camp Long grounds before and after the body painting party. We will have jute twine, scissors, masking tape, duct tape. You bring whatever you need: cardboard, paper bags, rags, any material that can used as a DIY minimum clothes project!
Camp Long staff are letting us use the handrails outside and behind the Camp Long lodge for locking our bikes up.
We could use some volunteers for setup of classroom, which will take place for the first 10-15 minutes, everybody is invited to help set out drop clothes, paints, brushes and put up required window covering that Parks & Rec is imposing upon us for use of the classroom.
Even though our reservation time ends at 3:30 PM, we as a group will need to do our cleanup 10-15 minutes before our ride starts (at 3PM).
NOTE: During our time at Camp Long nudity is allowed by Seattle Parks & Rec in the classroom only during our reservation. They are also requiring window covering, can you believe it?. Outside of the building on Camp Long grounds, Parks & Rec is requiring us to wear a minimum amount of clothing until we leave Camp Long grounds (about 85 feet away) <sigh>.
Clothing optional dress code
The World Naked Bike Ride dress code is "Bare As You Dare"... How bare is that ? How dare is that ?...Its all up to you, you decide what you are comfortable with. NO ONE IS EXCLUDED OR DISCRIMINATED AGAINST based on levels of clothing, bodypaint, or anything else, for that matter!
If you are concerned, you probably don't need to cover up much to be "legal". With the incredible transforming powers of a little body paint, liquid latex, a strategically placed sock, or a piece of duct tape you too can transform the average city streaking naked wild cyclist into "The legal city streaking naked wild cyclist". Be creative: a little imagination can change everything.
According information provided by Seattle Parks & Recreation: "Camp Long is one of Seattle's best kept secrets. Located in West Seattle, this 68 acre park offers visitors an opportunity to enjoy nature, hike in the forest, camp overnight in rustic cabins, rock climb, and learn about natural history." Please note Camp Long gates are closed at 10 p.m.
Our ride will begin shortly after 3 PM, after we are done clearing our body painting materials out of the lodge.
Daniel did a pretty exhaustive route plan today in West Seattle for an upcoming WNBR Seattle ride in early September (two weeks away). Talked to the Staff at Camp Long and checked out the place. Wow! The cabins, grounds and lodge are sooo cool! This is going to be a sweet event! A great way to end the summer!
Here is the proposed route using Google maps with overlays.
The map also shows a proposed (clothed) return route to Camp Long.
What an awesome day to ride! West Seattle on a sunny day is the closest you will get to any kind of South California beach culture experience. I know that's a stretch, but no other area in Seattle comes close.
- Ride starts after leaving Camp Long grounds. Please keep minimums on while on Camp Long grounds (outside of lodge during body painting party).
- We will work our way to the funky business district known as "The Junction". We will try to enter at California Ave and SW Edmunds St.
- American Legion Artillery is seen on Alaska St.
- Yellow Brick Road Mural at US Post Office on California Ave. that is screaming to a backdrop for our group!
- Continue going down California Ave to California Way, skipping the overlook park.
- This will drop us off at Harbor Ave SW, which will feed into Alki Ave. SW as the spectacular views of the Seattle skyline reveal themselves.
- Seattle Statue of Liberty Ceremonies for the Dedication Celebration for the Seattle Statue of Liberty Plaza Project run from 11:30 AM to 8:45.
- At the Light House, on the western tip of Alki, Alki Ave turns into Beach Dr SW
- Continue to Lincoln Park via Beach Dr. SW, where we have an optional fun run on the northern most side of the beach.
Bike Vanpool to Camp Long
We want to limit individual cars coming to Camp Long and lower our ecological footprint and help you get to Camp Long with all of your gear as easily as possible. We will be running a van to run bikes (not people) to Camp Long on a space available basis on Saturday morning (and possibly Friday night) from limited points in North/Central Seattle You will need to give us a bike lock. Van will not hold people, only bikes. You will still need to arrange carpools/bike trips/bus trips for your own transport to Camp Long.
Last pickup stop will leave to return to Camp Long no later than 10:45 - 11 AM Saturday morning! Please RSVP by calling or e-mail Daniel to arrange time. (206) 369 2661 mobile
I spoke with Operations Lieutenant of Southwest Precinct (West Seattle) this afternoon after sending earlier phone call. I provided with all info about our Saturday ride, including going over our proposed route. He was happy to talk and wished us warm weather and a great ride on Saturday! He reminded us that we are expected to follow the rules of the road. He thought our 10.5 mile ride sounded long and I told him it is one of our shortest rides easily and will probably last less than 2 hours.
For those of you who are still concerned about police action, consider this: you don't have to be naked to enjoy this ride! There are many ways to decorate yourself up for fun on this ride! There is no one way to have a fun time! Several people go partially or fully clothed and everybody has a blast! Secondly, police have always warned us before taking mild action against cyclists. So please be reassured that this a very safe and sane ride! Remember: Nobody has ever been charged with any crime in the last 15+ years of naked cycling in Seattle! Let's keep it that way and mind ourselves as we celebrate our 5th Year of WNBR Seattle!
The Retreat (Optional)
Cabin sleep over at Camp Long will be Friday night, 5 September 2008.
Seven cabins area available. You can has a little as one person per cabin and as many as you can fit in there. Cabins have three double bunk-beds (six total beds). Each cabin has a picnic table, stone fireplace, fire circle and running water outside the cabin. Its an awesome deal and cheap at only $40 cabin/night! A $50 refundable damage deposit required at check-in time. Check in is at 2:30 pm and check out is at 12 pm.
If you are interested in the retreat portion of the Camp Long WNBR Seattle experience, please call Camp Long to reserve a cabin at (206) 684-7434. The cabins are really cool and rustic looking. So act fast to secure your spot!
The Run (Optional)
A short, non-competitive, Bare Buns Fun Run is tentatively scheduled for Lincoln Park on the northern most strip of beach following the ride, as an optional component of the event. The run will be very short, approximately 3000 feet/.57 miles/.91km one way or ~6000 feet/1.14 miles/1.83 km round trip run.
- Since 2006 we scheduled regular bathroom breaks with the City so we can reduce the numbers of awkward moments when nature calls without having a proper place to go.
- For our 12 July event only we will have our rolling start location (after leaving Gas Works Park) for those squeamish about undressing anywhere near cameras. This concept has worked well for other rides. The rolling start location will not be announced to the public.
- Snack and activity break at ??. Possible activity with parachute.
- Yoga in the Park. This did not work out for 2008. We need a Yoga instructor for our future events! This yoga/stretching/relaxation component to help riders stay flexible, limber and in good spirits.
- We unfortunately did not have live music in 2008.
Other local naked cycling events
- WNBR Eugene is 7 June 2008
- WNBR Vancouver, BC (1st Summer Ride) is 7 June 2008
- WNBR Victoria, BC is 7 June 2008
- WNBR Portland is 14 June 2008
- Cyclosnudistas @ Solstice Cyclists is 21 June 2008
- Body Pride Ride is end of June 2008
- WNBR Seattle 2008 (ride 7) 12 July 2008
- Seattle Critical Ass on 25 July 2008
- WNBR Seattle 2008 (ride 8) 17 Aug 2008
- WNBR Vancouver, BC (2nd Summer Ride) is 23 JAug 2008
- Seattle Critical Ass on 29 Aug 2008
- WNBR Seattle 2008 (ride 9) 6 Sept 2008
Parks previously visited
Previous WNBR events includes stops at the following parks: