This page contains press coverage of previous SF WNBR rides along with ride reports from some of the participants in these events.
First SF World Naked Bike Ride
- SF rides the first WNBR in 2004 with about 40 mostly male riders. We gathered at noon in the Embarcadero near the North end of Justin Herman Plaza (just North of the huge fountain with all of the cubic shapes) and head out at 1 PM along Market St to the Castro district. Did we ever stop for pictures? I dont think so. Who knew we were so beautiful?
- SF Bay Area Indymedia, SF Naked Bike Ride Against Oil Dependency article by Eric Wagner, 12 June 2004
- Basetree Photography, June 12, 2004 - Naked Bike Ride San Francisco photos by Eric, 12 June 2004
Bike ride to celebrate National Naked Awareness Day
- Then in July we did it again! But this time, in celebration of Nat'l Naked Awareness Day, we were protected by a new group of the WNBR angels.
- A few weeks later we got to teach the SF City District Attorney, and SFPD cop John Velasquez, about respect for the law when the SFPD cited 5 of the July riders group.
2005 SF WNBR
- Area body painters ask to work on us, gratis.
2006 SF WNBR
2007 SF WNBR
2008 SF WNBR
- 2008- SFPD begin shadowing our Ride. "In case we need it".
- San Francisco Weekly, World Naked Bike Ride on 6/7 (NSFW) slideshow by Edward Paik, 6 June 2008
- San Francisco Weekly, Saturday: World Naked Bike Ride article by Janine Kahn, Mon., Jun. 9 2008
2009 SF WNBR
- At the 2009 event there were around 120 riders. We head out at 1 PM when the body painters have done their work.
We keep a steady pace heading almost to Golden Gate Park. We stop, rest and then turn around in SF's (Panhandle) to return to Embarcadero. We also stop and rest (and pose for photos) on the Polk St. steps of City Hall (there is usually some Saturday event going on in the Civic Center Park).
- San Francisco Weekly, World Naked Bike Ride 2009 slideshow, 15 June 2009
- San Francisco Weekly, Critical Ass: SF's World Naked Bike Ride 2009 article by Ashley Harrel, 15 June 2009
- San Francisco Weekly, June: SF Weekly's Month in Photos, slideshows, 26 June 2009
Southern Hemisphere SF WNBR
- March 2010 we had our first "Winter WNBR", in solidarity with the Southern Hemisphere WNBR.
- San Francisco Weekly, SF's Southern Hemisphere World Naked Bike Ride (NSFW), slideshow 16 Mar, 2010
Northern Hemisphere SF WNBR
- San Francisco Weekly, Naked Bike Ride, Sonny & The Sunsets, 'I Get What I Want And Always Get It Again!' article by Emily Savage, 11 June 2010
- San Francisco Weekly, Tomorrow is World Naked Bike Ride Day. Yes, Again. article by Chris Roberts, 11 June 2010
- San Francisco Weekly, World Naked Bike Ride: San Francisco (NSFW) slideshow, 13 June 2010
- Ride Report by James A. Zaun, 19 June 2010. A detailed report on the ride with photos.
Southern Hemisphere SF WNBR
Just a short report on the March 12th ride. We had a sizable turnout, compared to last March, of 50 or more riders with a nice mix of genders and ages. It was a nice mellow group. Most of the riders went naked including several women despite the cold coastal breezes at times. When riding further from the coastline the weather was actually quite pleasant. This year we road traffic-heavy Van Ness Street, the main route to the Golden Gate Bridge. We received loads of smiles, laughs, thumbs ups, honks and cheers even when the group took up one entire lane of traffic. Most passengers in passing cars had their iPhones out taking pictures. The new route up and over Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world, was much better than last June. Most riders were able to ride to the top without walking. All-and-all a very successful ride.
- San Francisco Weekly, World Naked Bike Ride Offers the Chance to Get Off Your (Bare) Butt and Make a Statement, article by Keith Bowers, 3 March 2011
- YouTube, World Naked Bike Ride, San Francisco, 2011 WNBR video by Mark Day Comedy, 13 March 2011
- San Francisco Weekly, World Naked Bike Ride Hits the Streets (NSFW), slide show by Richard Haick, 13 March 2011
Special WNBR BP Oil Spill One-Year-Later Protest on April 20
The ride went back & forth on Embarcadero past Fisherman's Wharf, & stopping at the Ferry Building around 6:30. It was overcast, but minimal wind and no rain. With the weather uncertain, it was expected to be a small turnout, but a dozen people; riders, spectators and photographers were at the start at 4:00pm and a half dozen bared all in the plaza as KTVU Channel 2 filmed & prepared for a news release later aired on the Ten O'Clock News. See below.
- The Morning Rush, Birthday Suit Bikers video April 21, 2011; (originally recorded and reported by KTVU Channel 2 on the 10 PM news, April 20, 2011).
Special Encore Earth Day SF WNBR on April 23
Only 6 riders showed up with roughly half being some of the better known Castro urban nudists. However, given that it was a last minute event put together only 4 days earlier, the turn out wasn't too bad. All six of us rode naked despite the cool, cloudy weather. The ride leader wore bright, florescent-green fishnet stockings in honor of Earth Day; another had No BP signs on his bike; and, another wore a silly hat; while the rest remained unadorned. We decided to head for the AT&T/Giants Stadium as the game was about to start (against the Braves).
Sure enough, there were huge crowds with lots of police doing crowd control. Despite our rather small contingent of all male riders, the 30 or so police we rode by allowed us to continue our naked celebration of Earth Day as long as we didn't linger too long in any one place. And, we got lots of cheers, smiles and laughs from the game crowd. We had a few bike problems along the way and lost one rider for awhile. We then headed towards Pier 39 but the cold breezes coming off the bay were too much for our unprotected bodies and we decided to call it quits after 2+ hours of riding.
Northern Hemisphere SF WNBR
- San Francisco Weekly, Pedestrians Want to Infiltrate World Naked Bike Ride, article by Matt Smith, 7 June 2011
- San Francisco Examiner, Eighth annual world naked bike ride in San Francisco, June 11, article by Kelly Peterson. 9 June 2011
- Ride Report by Jim Zaun, 18 June 2011
Southern Hemisphere SF WNBR
This year the turn out was equal to the previous year's June rides with 150-200 riders. We've only been doing it 3 years and it's already as big as the main ride. We had many repeat riders coming back to do it again. The gender mix was very good with several females riding in the nude. Probably the best gender balance we've had yet. All and all a very successful event with 4 times the turnout from last year.
- San Francisco Chronical: SF Gate, ‘World Naked Bike Ride’ this Saturday in San Francisco, article by John Angelico. 8 March 2012
2nd Annual Earth Day SF WNBR
Likewise, on our 2nd annual Earth Day ride we had 4 times as many riders as last year with ~24 riders. This year we went for a new starting location at a regular SF urban nudist hangout informally called the Buff Stop at Market and Castro. The area is also at the center of the LGBT community in SF. On the 1st leg we rode up Market to The Ferry building, then to Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf and Aquatic Park, then back to the Ferry Building, across Embarcadero and down to 2nd & Townsend, then back to Red's Java House where we stopped and tested the no nudes, no service rule. Some of the group went in and succeeded in getting food (take out). The owner didn't mind and we even had a friendly chat. Then we went on to circle the Rincon Park and then took Howard to 11th then over to Folsom and back to the Ferry Building and up Market to the Earth Day Festival. We managed to get down the center of the arcade and back down the next aisle until a big black security guard told us we had to leave. Then the 5 remaining of us went over to Valencia at 18th and up Castro to the starting point at the Market/Castro corner. Several of the other riders were still there and the last of us left about 5:30.
- MetroWise, San Francisco's Best Earth Day Bashes, article by Kesley Bryant. (The Earth Day WNBR was listed near the top of all the events listed.)
- Radio Latino Mix 105.7 FM, San Francisco se desnudó por el Día de la Tierra, slide show. 23 April 2012
Northern Hemisphere SF WNBRs
June 9th Ride
- SF Gate, ‘World Naked Bike Ride’ in San Francisco event post by John Angelico, 8 June 2012.
- The Guardian (U.K.), World Naked Bike Ride – in pictures, slide show covering WNBRs around the world including San Francisco, 10 June 2012.
- The Huffington Post, World Naked Bike Ride In San Francisco: Naked Bicyclists Advocate Green Living (NSFW PHOTOS), slide show and article by Sarah Medina, 11 June 2012.
- SF Appeal, Nearly 100 Cyclists Join Naked Bike Ride Saturday, article by Sasha Lekach (Bay City News), 9 June 2012. The same article was also carried by NBC as Nude Cyclists Protest in SF, CBS as 9th Annual Naked Bike Ride Rolls Through San Francisco, ABC and other news aggregators.
- SF Weekly, Photo of the Day: World Naked Bike Ride, photo by Josh Reiss, posted by Anna Pulley, 11 June 2012.
- SFist, Lady And Man Parts Ahead: World Naked Bike Ride Photos (NSFW), slide show, 11 June 2012.
July 28th Ride
The be filled in after it happens...