Date: July 27th 2013
Location: India Point Park
"Bare as you dare!" No one will be turned away for what they choose to wear or not to wear. Helmets are encouraged, but not required (unless the person operating the bike is under 15 years of age). Clothing should be worn too and from the bike ride and kept with you throughout the trip.
The World Naked Bike Ride Organization supports Body-Positive themes, which is in tune to the diversity and beauty in all human bodies. Participants can abandon their shame and feel comfortable riding naked with like-minded people. To some, the nudity also represents the vulnerability bikers have on the road and hope to encourage more bike safety measures being taken.
The message of WNBR focuses on promoting cycling
- Save the planet! shifting to a carfree lifestyle is one of the most powerful things a person can do to make a real difference in reducing negative environmental impacts on this planet.
- "Our message to the world is one of simplification, human harmony and love. For a future to exist for tomorrows generations, we have to stop wasting the life blood energy of the Earth, stop fighting and killing in the name of consumerist wealth accumulation and learn to love and respect all life on this planet." – Conrad Schmidt, founder of The Work Less Party and Artists for Peace and WNBR and organizer for WNBR Vancouver, BC
- It's time to put a stop to the indecent exposure of people and the planet to cars and the pollution they create. We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the vulnerability faced by cyclists and pedestrians on our streets as well as the negative consequences we all face due to dependence on oil, and other forms of non-renewable energy.
- Breathe easier. "If you stand in a closed garage with a running car, you will die in a matter of minutes. Hundreds of thousands of cars in our cities create dirty, unhealthy air." – Go By Bicycle
- Body image/self awareness. Cycling promotes body awareness, the fact that one can achieve a more healthy lifestyle from the exercise we achive by using self-powered transport
- Self-sufficiency. Cycling makes us non-renewable energy sources, less dependent oil
- Think Globally, Act locally. Cycling promotes local cycling businesses and local cycling organizations.
- Less is more. WNBR strips the complexities from modern transport to a simplified message of cycling. For the vast majority of most peoples' transport needs, cycles are the right vehicle for the right job. "You don't need a wheelbarrow to carry a pea".
- The unabashed vehicle of the revolution. By cycling naked we declare our confidence in the beauty and individuality of our bodies and the bicycles's place as a catalyst for change in the future of sustainability, transport, community and recreation.
- "Unless we change direction, we are likely to end up where we are heading."
- Community-building. Bicycles create public space, enhance street life and build a sense of community
- "If you see someone you know while riding, it's easy to stop and say hello. Bicycles create public space, enhance street life and build a sense of community"– Go By Bicycle
- Peace of mind. "People are looking for places where they're not constantly being confronted with cars. It's just like non-smokers seeking smoke-free space." – Franziska Eichstaedt-Bohlig, German Green Party
"Public nudity is often more acceptable than you'd think, so long as the behavior of the naked people in question isn't lewd, aggressive or violent." The larger the group, the less willing the police are to arrest peaceful naked people.
11-45-2 Indecent exposure – Disorderly conduct. – (a) A person commits indecent exposure/disorderly conduct when for the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification or stimulation, such person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:
(1) Exposes his or her genitals to the view of another under circumstances in which his or her conduct is likely to cause affront, distress, or alarm to that person;
(b) Any person may be a complainant for the purposes of instituting action for any violation of this section. This act shall not apply to any conduct between consenting adults where the complainant is an unintended witness;
(c) Any person found guilty of, or who pleads nolo contendere to the crime of indecent exposure/disorderly conduct, shall be imprisoned for a term of not more than one year, or fined not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or both. Any subsequent offense shall be punished by imprisonment for a term of up to three (3) years;
(d) Counseling. Every person convicted of, or placed on probation for a violation of this section, may be ordered to attend appropriate professional counseling to address his or her behavior;
(e) In no event shall the provisions of this section be construed to apply to breastfeeding in public.