- 1 Next ride
- 2 Ride details
- 3 Previous ride details
- 4 Organiser
- 5 Earlier promotional activities
- 6 Media coverage
- 7 Photos
- 8 Videos
- 9 History
- 10 Nimbin 2012
- 11 Nimbin 2011
- 12 Nimbin 2010
- 13 Nimbin 2009
- 14 Legality
- 15 Future
- 16 Publicity: flyers, posters, images etc
- 17 Links
- 18 Categories
Date: Saturday 10 March 2018
Location: The Nimbin Bush Theatre Cafe, 2 Blue Knob Rd, Nimbin, New South Wales 2480
As published on the WNBR Nimbin facebook group:
World Naked Bike Ride - Nimbin: Protest for Peace and the Environment
2018 will be Nimbin's tenth year participating in the WNBR festivities. Please come & support the Nimbin WNBR.
Please feel free to contact us, as much help will be needed
Date: Saturday 10th of March 2018
Time: Start painting up at 10am
Location: Bush Theatre.
The ride starts when everyone is painted up and ready to go. The ride itself consists of a few laps of the main street of Nimbin and takes about 30 minutes. The first part of the ride is up a hill from the bush theatre into town - please make sure you and your bike are in condition for the ride. Generally though it isn't a taxing ride and a wide range of people take part each year.
Mission: We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the unique dangers faced by cyclists and pedestrians plus all the negative effects of oil, cars, war, consumerism and non-renewable energy.
Protest Themes: Biketivism, Naturism, Environmentalism, and Pacifism.
Dress code: Clothing is optional - The dress code for the World Naked Bike Ride is "Bare As You Dare"! - The choice is yours to decide how naked you wish to be. If you choose to be full clothed or partially clothed or in costume or painted or if you choose to be completely naked, the decision is entirely yours.
This ride is immense fun. The joy and exhileration and the confidence you will get from it will warm your heart for years to come!
From the WNBR Nimbin facebook event page:
Come along to the 10th annual world Naked Bike Ride in Nimbin.
We ride naked (or as bare as you dare) to remind vehicle drivers that cyclists and pedestrians are vulnerable on our roads. Our message is Share the Road.
BRING your bike, a helmet, body paints (we will have some paints there as well)
WHAT WE DO we meet at the Bush Theatre Cafe, strip off and paint each others bodies - slogans and images associated with bicycle activism; when everyone is ready we ride the main street of Nimbin with our Share the Road message.
ALSO because this is our 10th birthday, there'll be cake in there somewhere too
REFRESHMENTS - including lunch, available for sale at the cafe
PHOTOGRAPHY POLICY - The organisers of the ride hold participants' enjoyment and comfort as their priority; when people are stripping and being painted they can feel self-conscious especially if this is the first time they have done the ride
While stripping and painting please only take photos of people you have permission from to photograph; when you ask for their permission, tell them what you are going to do with the picture (obviously when we are riding the main street, there is no control over photography)
- CHECK YOUR BIKE - that the chain works and the brakes work; every year there are one or two riders who get stranded because their bikes aren't up to scratch; don't let this be you
- CHECK YOURSELF - have you been on a bike recently? Can you ride up a hill? (there is a hill between the Bush Theatre and Nimbin town)
We look forward to seeing you in Nimbin on 10th March for the best fun you'll probably have all year.
James and Mij
Previous ride details
Hi folks ! Its "World Naked Bike Ride" (WNBR) time again ! We ride on the second Saturday in March. Get out you bikes, check the wheels go round, the chain is present and correct, and the tires are up !
We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the unique dangers faced by cyclists and pedestrians plus all the negative effects of oil, cars, war, consumerism and non-renewable energy.
This will be our 9th ride, and they have all been superb. Last year, even though the day started out quite wet, a reasonable crowd turned up at Peace park (under umbrellas !!!). When we got to the paintup spot, there were more there !. An estimate was over 35 - but the real improvements were a better gender mix, and better art ! The ride was excellent.
Our paint-up venue even opened for us- coffee before the ride, vegan food after - all in all an excellent time was had by all.
So, dont be put of by the rain, or the distance - it is really quite short and easy - and come and be a part of it. We want no spectators - everyone should be in the ride !
And seriously, as much fun as the spectators get, the real fun is in the painting and the after party - adrenaline city ! It is as bare as you dare. If you want to ride clothed, come along as you are ! Get some bling for your bike ! Bring some paints to share - if you have none others will. Bring bikes to share if you have them. So come even if you do not have a bike !
Meet at Peace Park as per usual from 10AM, and then proceed to the '(not really) secret paintup location'. Please try to be in a reasonable time span, as we have to prepare as well. We usually start the actual paint up at about 10.00, and ride at 1pm. The times are rubbery. Give yourself a lot of time, to get the best paint ! (You can ride without paint if you want as well.
Dont miss it !
We will endeavour to protect the environment as much as we can. To further this, please consider bringing local river ochres for use as body paint if you can.
After ride party
There is an after ride get-together being organised for participants who have completed the ride. After the ride, we will return to the starting location to get cleaned up.
We expect to have some musicians to entertain us, and some food and drink. It will be easier if we bring our own goodies. We could possibly also get 'notdogs' or the like as well. The food will then be bought in town and taken to the party site. Beer consortiums could also be formed at this time, and a similar methods used. A little bit of planning here can make it a much nicer day.
The owners of our venue have agreed that the after-party can continue with the clothes-optional theme.
We are not supplying alcohol - you are. Please keep the drinking etc until after the ride for a better time for all. Cycling while under the influence of alcohol can certainly get you arrested, and your driving license may be at risk.
What to bring
- A bike in working order. If you have a bike in need of repair or do not have a bike please visit the Bicycle Recycling Network. A limited number of bikes will be available to borrow for the ride so it is best to avoid disappointment and bring your own. You can ride a scooter or skates if you want to because any form of human powered transport is OK.
- You MUST have a proper bike helmet.
- Bring your friends.
- You need to arrive clothed. Seriously, some people have not done this.
- You need decent shoes for cycling because you may hurt your feet otherwise.
- You need somewhere to put your clothes while you are riding. A luggage rack on your bike, or panniers or a basket that you can put your bag with your clothes. Clothing is optional on the ride and you are perfectly welcome to ride clothed or naked or somewhere in between.
- Apply sunscreen before the event.
- River ochres for body painting to save the environment.
- Bring a bottle of water.
- Bring some money for the after party or bring your own food and drink.
What not to bring
- Alcohol or drugs. Ride in control and safe. Save your alcohol consumption for the after party.
Photography / Video Recording
The organisers have developed some guidelines around the taking of photos and video during this event. In developing these guidelines, our main consideration is the comfort and confidence of riders, as we want them to participate every year. No considerations shall be seen to be higher than this.
During the paint up stage before the ride itself, riders like to take pictures of each other. Before you take a photo or video of someone though we ask that you:
- check with the person (or people) that it is okay to record their image
- show them the photo / video after you have taken it to check they are happy with it.
If you are planning to put the pictures / video on the Web or in another publication, please do the right thing and tell your subject/s your intentions.
During The Ride
Open photography of the actual ride event with rider arrayed in their final glorious painted form should, in our opinion, be the chief vehicle for public consumption.
Obviously, when we are riding around town, there is no control over what images are taken.
By respecting each others levels of comfort with exposing our bodies and having our image recorded, everyone who comes on the ride can feel safe and have a great day.
Media enquiries for Nimbin: please contact Jacmul the WNBR Nimbin Organiser.
Earlier promotional activities
- CSN CycleSportNews.com, 7 Mar 2010, Naked in Nimbin and a Three-Legged Dog written by Peter Ford.
- CSN CycleSportNews.com, 6 Mar 2010, Editor May Need to Close Shutter written by Peter Ford.
- The Northern Rivers Echo, 4 Mar 2010, A nude awakening
- The Nimbin Good Times, March 2010 - Peanut Tree Edition, World Naked Bike Ride by Mijimberi, co-co-ordinator.
- CSN CycleSportNews.com, 13 Feb 2010, CSN Returns To Nimbin written by Peter Ford.
- SafeGrowth, 31 Jan 2010, Nimbin the beautiful - The War on Drugs includes mention of WNBR Nimbin
- CSN CycleSportNews.com, 08 March 2009 : "Nimbin Nakedness Scores Convert" written by Peter Ford.
- CSN CycleSportNews.com, 04 March 2009 : "Editor To Tackle No Clothes Ride" written by Peter Ford.
- The Northern Rivers Echo, 12 Mar 2009, Get on your bike
- The Northern Rivers Echo, 5 Mar 2009, Helmets on and pants off please
- ABC North Coast NSW, 6 Mar 2009, Nude ain't (necessarily) rude
- Nimbin Good Times, April 2009, Easy Riders put their points across at Nimbin's WNBR page 3
- 2010 Naked Bike Ride, Nimbin ,NSW, Australia on YouTube.
<youtube v="uZskNl6De5E" />
2009 to 2011
- 2009 to 2011 World Naked Bike Rides Nimbin compilation uploaded 19 Mar 2011 to YouTube by mijimberi
<youtube v="ndSro1sk2jg" />
Date: Saturday 3 March 2012
Time: 10:30 am
Location: Peace Park, Nimbin, NSW
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Nimbin 2012 page.
Date: Saturday 5 March 2011
Time: 10:30 am
Location: Peace Park, Nimbin, NSW
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Nimbin 2011 page.
Date: Saturday 6 March 2010
Time: 10:30 am
Location: Peace Park, central Nimbin
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Nimbin 2010 page.
Date: Saturday 7 March 2009
Time: 10:30 am
Location: Peace Park, central Nimbin
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Nimbin 2009 page.
The laws that are relevant to public nudity in New South Wales are applicable througout the state. For discussion of this topic, please refer to the separate page about New South Wales Laws.
In July 2008 an Organiser volunteered to help make a WNBR happen in Nimbin on Saturday the 7th of March 2009. The Organiser has several associates who are helping and there is strong commitment to make the 2010 event even bigger. People interested in participating or helping organise the 2010 WNBR in Nimbin should join the discussion group, try to make contact with others with similar views and demonstrate some initiative. It will happen if you help make it happen! Please refer to the Organizing a ride page for more information about starting or restarting a ride.
Publicity: flyers, posters, images etc
- Colour poster / flyer, direct link to full resolution image
- Black and white poster / flyer, direct link to full resolution image
- WNBR Australia (on main website)