- 1 Next ride
- 2 Ride Details
- 3 WNBR Winter Wonderland 2012
- 4 Previous Ride Details
- 5 Volunteers Needed
- 6 Media enquiries
- 7 Media coverage
- 8 Publicity: flyers, posters, images etc
- 9 Earlier Events where WNBR Melbourne was represented
- 10 History
- 11 Photos
- 12 Videos
- 13 Ride reports
- 14 Links
- 15 Categories
Date: Sunday 3rd of March 2013
WNBR Winter Wonderland 2012
- Date: Friday 8th June 2012
- Time: Meet 7:30pm
- Location: Lord Newry Hotel – 543 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy Nth
Leaving Lord Newry at 8pm for a nearby outdoor undressing location.
This ride is a lot shorter than the summer ride and will be a fun jaunt thru city streets with other chilly souls. We’ll finish at a PUB where we can warm our outsides (and insides).
Bring a working bike, GOOD lights, maybe some reflective-ness: Be Visible Also bring a bag to carry your clothes.
Dress code as always is ‘As bare as you dare’ (gloves, scarves, etc might be nice against the cold)
The ride is to support and encourage the Northern hemisphere, who are riding that weekend.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.
Previous Ride Details
- Date: Sunday 4th March 2012
- Time: 2pm
- Location: behind the North Fitzroy Bowls Club (near the rotunda), Edinburgh Gardens, North Fitzroy
Meet behind the North Fitzroy Bowls Club (near the rotunda), Edinburgh Gardens, North Fitzroy to get ready (many riders decorate their bodies with paint, slogans and bits of costume) and say hello to the other riders... then we'll get going at around 3.
Mission Statement: We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the unique dangers faced by cyclists and pedestrians plus all the negative effects of oil, cars, war, consumerism non-renewable energy as well as promoting positive body image.
Clothing is optional. The dress code for the World Naked Bike Ride is "Bare As You Dare!"... YOU get to decide how naked you wish to be. If that means completely naked, the decision is yours.
The ride is NOT A RACE and goes at an EASY RECREATIONAL PACE.
What to bring – your trusty Bicycle, Helmet and shoes. Wear clothes that are easy to remove and put back on. Bring body paints and makeup, banners, noisemakers and artwork.
Suggested $5 donation to cover costs.
Fantastic Fun! World Naked Bike Ride is the biggest naked protest event in the world. It is the grooviest, funniest, most hippie greenie event.
Riding in the WNBR will give you a natural high and a feeling of joy, liberation and freedom that will amaze you.
The memory of WNBR will cheer you for years to come.
Really hope to see you all there.
Winter 2011 Ride report
17 riders turned up for Friday's (10 June 11) naked ride.
We started at the Lord Newry hotel, got dressed in Edinburgh Gardens, went south on Brunswick St, across to and then up Lygon St. Finished at the Dan O'Connell Hotel (who's friendly publicans didn't mind a bit of nudity).
Ride was exquisite. Turn out was much better than I'd expected and everyone had a positive attitude. We had zero negative interactions with onlookers :) The look on the face of the cop on Lygon St, holding his breathalyser, who basically chose not to see us, was priceless. Weather was chilly, but warmer and drier than it could've been.
Media... Melbourne Leader did a pretty good story: http://melbourne-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/naked-riders-hit-the-streets-in-winter/
And some doco people were shooting footage. More details at some point.
Thanks to all those who turned up, DG for helping to organise (and bringing tunes), and to the many who were with us in spirit.
peace from the pedals, -Alex
Winter 2011 Ride Details
Here are the details for the Winter WonderLand Melbourne Naked Bike Ride 2011 (!)
This Friday 10 Jun 2011,
Meet 7pm at the Lord Newry Hotel-
543 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy North
(if you plan to eat dinner at the pub, please get there earlier)
Leaving pub at 7:30pm, for a nearby outdoor undressing location.
After undressing, we'll go for a short, easy ride.
After the naked part, we'll get dressed at another outdoor location, then zip over to a nearby ending pub to warm up, socialise, eat, etc
My expectation is that this will be a mellow ride, mostly about riding as 'bare as you dare' in solidarity with a handful of other chilly, hardy souls. We can save the big statements for the warmer, bigger, and better planned March ride.
That being said, feel free to be creative in your attire... Body paint, slogans, silly clothing, etc. Just bear in mind that we will be undressing outside in the -cold-, so we'll want to get ready pretty quickly.
It will be dark, so...
Do bring lights.
Do bring reflective accessories.
Do be visible :)
You will probably want to have a backpack or pannier to carry your clothes during the ride. There won't be anywhere to store stuff during the ride and we aren't going back to the start point.
As always, the dress code is 'As bare as you dare'. ;)
peace, hope to see you there,
-bikefunnist (email: bikefunnist(at)riseup(dot)net) via
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldNakedBikeRideMelbourne/ details repeated on the following web sites:
World Naked Bike Ride - Winter Wonderland - Melbourne 2011 Facebook event
World Naked Bike Ride - Winter Wonderland - Melbourne 2011 on BareAsYouDare website
In March 2009 the VIC Police gave their approval for the WNBR to ride naked as long as 'people conduct themselves in the manner advertised.' That is in the context of non-sexual nudity without intention to cause offence.
The laws that are relevant to public nudity in Victoria are applicable througout the state. For discussion of this topic, please refer to the separate page about Victoria Laws.
Volunteers are always welcome to join the cause. Heidi Hill is the current lead organiser. Heidi would appreciate any help you can give. Can you volunteer to help organise for the next ride? The work will be shared around a team of volunteers so please do not think you will get heaps of work loaded onto you. It's easy and fun. Please join the WNBR Melbourne Facebook Group and / or email Heidi Hill and put your name forward.
Follow the link for the pre-ride Melbourne press release.
- gullybogan, 18 Feb 2009, World Naked Bike Ride
- Rant Radio 3AW, 11 Mar 2009: "Hinch Blog: Is it so unfair?" – Derryn "The Human Headline" Hinch interviews Heidi Hill, with mention of the Spencer Tunick photo shoot. MP3 audio recordings: the interview, hilarious talkback calls
- Melbourne Leader, 11 Mar 2009: "Melbourne bike riders turn the other cheek"
- Melbourne Leader, 11 Mar 2009: "The World Naked Bike Ride, Melbourne 2008" – photo gallery (with permission)
- The Australian, 16 Mar 2009, Nude bicycle riders take to streets of Melbourne for World's Naked Bike Ride, By Michelle Rose.
- Same as above in Adelaide Now, 16 Mar 2009, Nude bicycle riders take to streets of Melbourne for World's Naked Bike Ride, By Michelle Rose.
- Herald Sun, 16 Mar 2009, Naked bike riders cause a stir but police receive no complaints
- Perth Report, 16 Mar 2009, Naked bike riders cause a stir but police receive no complaints from the Herald Sun
- One India, Cyclists Ride Nude On 'World's Naked Bike Ride'.
- Hamara Photos, 16 Mar 2009, Nude cyclists take to Melbourne’s streets on World’s Naked Bike Ride.
- T SIX, Naked Bike Ride In Melbourne
- The Sun, 18 Mar 2009, Naked cycling's a ride laugh By Charlotte Martin.
- bikesmut.com, 20 Mar 2009, Rolling Down South
- Get Outdoors, 25 Mar 2009, Naked Cyclists Crash Wedding Photo,
- The Caffeinated Cyclist Nude Aussie bicycle riders take to streets of Melbourne for World's Naked Bike Ride
Publicity: flyers, posters, images etc
Add WNBR Melbourne 2013 flyer and poster here.
Earlier Events where WNBR Melbourne was represented
For more information about the pre-ride publicity events see the previous ride pages inked below.
Melbourne March 2010
The WNBR Melbourne March 2010 ride was fantastic. 130 naked riders rode central Melbourne with no issues. Please visit our new site - AsBareAsYouDare.com here - 
A date was confirmed as Sunday the 21st of March by Heidi, the WNBR Melbourne Organiser. Time of assembly is 3pm. Assembly place is The Union Club Hotel, Corner of Gore and Webb Streets, Fitzroy.
WNBR Melbourne 2010 is expected to be huge! The VIC Police gave their approval for riders in the WNBR of both sexes to participate fully naked in 2009. So, there is no reason for any WNBRider to worry about arrest if you choose to ride naked in a non-sexual context.
Date: Sunday 15 March 2009
Location: Union Club Hotel, corner of Gore & Webb Sts, Fitzroy
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Melbourne March 2009 page.
Date: Friday 6 June 2008
Location: Union Club Hotel, corner of Gore & Webb Sts, Fitzroy
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Melbourne June 2008 page.
Date: Sunday 9 March 2008
Location: The Rotunda, Edinburgh Gardens, North Fitzroy
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Melbourne March 2008 page.
Date: Saturday 10 March 2007
Time: 7:00 pm
Location: Carlton Inn/University Sqr. - cnr of Pelham & Leicester Sts, Carlton
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see the Melbourne 2007 page.
Date: Sunday 12 March 2006
Time: 2pm to start body painting
Location: Smith Reserve, George Street and Alexandra Parade, Fitzroy
For more information about the pre-ride planning, events and media see Melbourne 2006 page.
- Photos at WNBR Australia (official site)
- Gallery of pre-ride painting party on this website on the Melbourne March 2009 page.
2008 June photos
- Melbourne June 2008 photos on this wiki website.
2008 March photos
- World Naked Bike Ride Melbourne 2010 on YouTube.
- 2010 Melbourne World Naked Bike Ride on YouTube.
- World Naked Bike Ride Melbourne 2009 on YouTube.
- World Naked Bike Ride, Melbourne, 12 March 2006: Video 1, Video 2
Follow the links for ride reports by participants:
- WNBR Melbourne 9 March 2008 Post Ride Press Release by Heidi Hill.
- WNBR Melbourne 9 March 2008 Ride Report by Marte Kinder.
- WNBR Melbourne 2007 Ride Report by Alex
- WNBR Melbourne 2007 Ride Report from Bawdyliar
- WNBR Melbourne 2006 Ride Report from G Brunya
The following organisations support and/or endorse the WNBR in Melbourne: