Home > About
WNBR is on! It's time to put a stop to the indecent exposure of people and the planet to cars and the pollution they create.
According to the United Nations, close to a million species of plants and animals could disappear from the face of the earth in the next 50 years as a result of greenhouse gasses being released primarily from motor vehicles.
Since 2004, cities across the world have experienced the joy of the world's largest naked event promoting cycling in the history of humanity.
You are invited to not only ride with us but also to help organize a WNBR event in the city of your choosing. More information. Visit our List of rides page for a list of participating cities, each with its upcoming event and/or a list of its previous rides.
World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) is being organized and supported by many different groups. The groups are only connected by their determination to all be naked on their bikes on WNBR Day, riding in celebration, jubilation to deliver a vision of a cleaner, safer, body-positive world to the masses. We have many great reasons to be celebrating, with all the glory of naked two-wheel sanity. It's time to join hundreds of naked compatriots in a free, non-sexual, fun bike ride!
All are welcome! From the shy to the bold. Cyclists, rollerbladers, rollerskaters, skate boarders. All ages, sizes, and colors welcome. Bring your family and your co-workers!
What to wear? Do not fear! The World Naked Bike Ride dress code is "As Bare As You Dare"... How bare is that? How dare is that? It's all up to you. You decide what you are comfortable with. No one is excluded or discriminated against based on levels of clothing, bodypaint, or anything else for that matter!
Engage the public! We paint our bodies and decorate our bikes with political messages or beautiful designs to complement our forms. Please be creative and colorful in expressing yourself! Bodypainting, bike decorating, and other creative expression is strongly encouraged! See Body art and Art bike for more info.
We pass out flyers informing the public about our message. We use portable public address systems or raise our voices and chant in unison. Getting people to laugh and smile is a great way to connect and share ideas in a non-threatening way.
The message of WNBR focuses on promoting cycling
- Save the planet! shifting to a carfree lifestyle is one of the most powerful things a person can do to make a real difference in reducing negative environmental impacts on this planet.
- "Our message to the world is one of simplification, human harmony and love. For a future to exist for tomorrows generations, we have to stop wasting the life blood energy of the Earth, stop fighting and killing in the name of consumerist wealth accumulation and learn to love and respect all life on this planet." – Conrad Schmidt, founder of The Work Less Party and Artists for Peace and WNBR and organizer for WNBR Vancouver, BC
- It's time to put a stop to the indecent exposure of people and the planet to cars and the pollution they create. We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the vulnerability faced by cyclists and pedestrians on our streets as well as the negative consequences we all face due to dependence on oil, and other forms of non-renewable energy.
- Breathe easier. "If you stand in a closed garage with a running car, you will die in a matter of minutes. Hundreds of thousands of cars in our cities create dirty, unhealthy air." – Go By Bicycle
- Body image/self awareness. Cycling promotes body awareness, the fact that one can achieve a more healthy lifestyle from the exercise we achive by using self-powered transport
- Self-sufficiency. Cycling makes us non-renewable energy sources, less dependent oil
- Think Globally, Act locally. Cycling promotes local cycling businesses and local cycling organizations.
- Less is more. WNBR strips the complexities from modern transport to a simplified message of cycling. For the vast majority of most peoples' transport needs, cycles are the right vehicle for the right job. "You don't need a wheelbarrow to carry a pea".
- The unabashed vehicle of the revolution. By cycling naked we declare our confidence in the beauty and individuality of our bodies and the bicycles's place as a catalyst for change in the future of sustainability, transport, community and recreation.
- "Unless we change direction, we are likely to end up where we are heading."
- Community-building. Bicycles create public space, enhance street life and build a sense of community
- "If you see someone you know while riding, it's easy to stop and say hello. Bicycles create public space, enhance street life and build a sense of community"– Go By Bicycle
- Peace of mind. "People are looking for places where they're not constantly being confronted with cars. It's just like non-smokers seeking smoke-free space." – Franziska Eichstaedt-Bohlig, German Green Party
Evolution of a message
In the beginning of WNBR, the message was balancing protesting against oil dependency and celebrating the power and individuality of the human body. In 2006, there was a shift towards simplifying the message and focusing on cycling advocacy. While the ride does include and appeal to participants from social nudity circles, the rides is not focused on promoting social nudity directly as much as cycling.
Conrad Schmidt has pointed out that the most active support has coming from the cycling advocacy community, with groups such as Critical Mass. While we have been able to get many people from social nudity circles to take cycling more seriously, too many people are coming to the event without really supporting the primary focus of the ride. Focusing on cycling helps clarify this.